Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Being a huge Ackley fan and not having a .20 cal, I would have to vote for the 20 AH.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Supporting Member

Well I have to admit I'd favour the 20 AH, already have the reamer and dies.

Only thing holding me up is which action to build it on a L/H Rem 581 or a BSA 12/15. Would love a CZ Hornet but they didn't bring the CZ Hornet out in L/H.

Kiwi
Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 PM

The Hornet is one of my least favorite calibers to load. When loading 300 or so to take on a .p-dog shoot, my patience eventually runs out and I end up crunching a few necks. I can only imagine that the 17s and 20s will be worse unless you can get a boattailed bullet.

That said, the AH sounds better as they are both wildcats and I like the AH design a little bit better.

As to the guys lamenting about going p-dog shooting, just do it. I try to get out 2 or 3 times a year. I just wish that I would have started years earlier than I did as I find it to be some of the most enjoyable shooting that I do. The only drawback is the mountain of brass to reload every time, but that is a burden that I willingly bear.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM

I use a Wilson 17 degree (I think it is) chamfer tool on my .17AH - have never crunched a neck with it & my custom seating die, and in over 18,000 .22 Hornet reloads using Hornady dies, never as well. Many ears ago, I buckled a .22 hornet neck with RCBS dies - of course my fault through carelessness. I much prefer theHornady seating die system.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM

My experience parallels Daryl's in my 22 Hornets (5). Starting from new brass Hornady dies, shoot to fire form and segregate brass to the rifle. Neck size only after then, using Hornady NS die (not the FS die) and load. When I got into multiple factory rifles in the same caliber, I found the factory chambers are all over the map, from sloppy to tight. The number of reloads before needing to anneal ranged from 5 to 14, depending on rifle. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Historical I have used Redding and RCBS dies. I did get a set of Hornady dies when I picked up a 20 VT this year. Probably should get a set for the Hornet. Thanks. I could neck size since I only have one Hornet and a K Hornet..
Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 PM

The standard 22 hornet is one of my favorite rounds and easiest to load for..........I also have two 22K Hornets (which are almost as easy to load for).

Lee Collet Neck Die

Hornady bullet seating die with sleeve.......

Case full of Lil Gun (thrown through an RCBS powder measure) and CCI 500 small pistol primers.

The hornady bullet seater is the way to go (for cheap and accurate seating) without crushing necks.

Lee Collet die setup to give .002" neck tension is money

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 07-22-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoillug View Post
Being a huge Ackley fan and not having a .20 cal, I would have to vote for the 20 AH.
There is something to be said for having an Ackley improved round, he was quite a guy.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Yes, he was Gary and right on the verge of releasing Ackley Volume 111 Handbook for Handloaders when he passed. I had just sent him a whack of .458 2" (American) loading data for it on his request as I had corresponded with him a number of times, back in the late 70's.

Parker wanted to update his data on that round as all he had were guessed at velocities that were out to lunch with powders such as High Vel. 2. My data with that powder was quite different than what he'd printed in volume 1 and 11. At that time, I had an Oehler #11 chronograph with the brand new 'sky screens'.

I used to call it my lie detector.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 PM

Is their such a thing as just a necked down .22H to .20? What I mean is not an improved round, just necked down.

Last edited by moorepower; 07-23-2018 at 04:02 PM.