Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

Default New rule puts the hurt on me....

About 1 year ago I decided to sell off some guns for multiple reasons. Told my wife I’d like to get it so they’d all fit in one safe thinking a half full safe is about the correct size to store em anyhow.

I was off to a good start... but as it happened my youngest son took a renewed interest in not only guns but also reloading. Not good for weak will powdered gw. So I made a new rule to live by. If I can’t fit them into the safe then I can’t buy anymore.

That’s sort of worked out real nicely but what it has done is made me look ahead at what I need to sell Incase I would ever be in a weak willed moment... well I’m looking at this marlin smoothbore 410. It has done zero for me, and I ask myself what’s it good for anyhow??? It’s neat but it’s heavy (I prefer lightweight cause of my joint pain).

I really do not want to get rid of it but I really need some good ideas to justify it in my mind.... what the heck did they make it for anyhow.

I even went as far as to make Loaded 410 brass from 444s and the found where I could purchased genuine 410 stamped brass in neat little boxes.... I’m just not sure what the intention ever was other than I like 410s...

My only thought as of right now is it’s my home defense gun lol
Old 05-04-2019, 01:28 AM

The smoothbore is supposed to be perfect for slugs. It would make for a nice light kicking deer rifle if you keep your shots close. My cousin's son has a 410 single shot and I have shot some slugs through it. It makes me smile every time I shoot it.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 AM

A .410 is a " very marginal" slug gun!!?
It's one of those rumors that never die
And yes, I've hunted with them for year
Old 05-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

I didn’t consider slugs and especially through a smoothbore. I do have plenty of lead bullets for both 45 LC as well as 45 BP pistol to play around with.

I really wish it had a threaded screw in chokes. The 45 LC shotshell capsules are a hoot to shoot through my NEF FC 410. My favorite way to kill a nest full of hornets lol
Old 05-04-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
The 45 LC shotshell capsules are a hoot to shoot through my NEF FC 410. My favorite way to kill a nest full of hornets lol
You must be REALLY confident of your shot pattern or be a pretty good runner.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 05-04-2019, 03:12 AM

The big boys tell me that add on sections(called new safes) can be bolted to the side of the existing safe..............added security and one integral safe.

If the 410 is a lever gun, some would consider it a piece of Americana; was designed in an earlier, simpler time; made for use and support of families.

I suspect that this particular firearm was made just for you.............

My Dad's recipe for yellow jackets was to throw a small amount(bean can)gasoline on them, but he knew what he was doing(non-smoker); guess kinda a forerunner of today's aerosols. I am not in that alignment, but have been known to use a short piece of 4x4 post, place said post under the nest to see if will cover such, then a simple quick upward movement. If you missed one, was your own fault; no hesitation in the upward movement please.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:42 AM

Default One In - One Out Rule

My wife and I made a deal about Shoes and Guns. For each new purchase you have to make room by getting rid of something that you already have. It is a gut check of how bad do you want it.

I am about to do some Spring cleaning and make some room in the Armory. That said, I have a double barrel .410 that I learned to shoot with as a young child. I will never get rid of this gun and would love to work it in for some bird shooting!
Old 05-04-2019, 03:53 AM

I kinda did the same thing a few years back. My solution now is to have everything be a switch barrel. A new barrel isn't technically a new gun......

Aaron
Old 05-04-2019, 04:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
You must be REALLY confident of your shot pattern or be a pretty good runner.

I’m serious, that lil full choke NEF with #12 shot loads in either the Speer shotshell capsules or just loading a 45LC with the shot inside it works like a champ! And it’s so easy, I get the correct distance away (knowing my shot pattern) aim and after I pull the trigger everything is gone. Every once in a while there is one hornet flying around where the nest use to be probably wondering what the hell... and the #12 LC shot shell doesn’t mess up the bran very bad. You will have to repaint though if it’s on and exterior side... I thought it wouldn’t be quite so bad but it was like bead blasting lol
Old 05-04-2019, 04:09 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
The big boys tell me that add on sections(called new safes) can be bolted to the side of the existing safe..............added security and one integral safe.

If the 410 is a lever gun, some would consider it a piece of Americana; was designed in an earlier, simpler time; made for use and support of families.

I suspect that this particular firearm was made just for you.............

My Dad's recipe for yellow jackets was to throw a small amount(bean can)gasoline on them, but he knew what he was doing(non-smoker); guess kinda a forerunner of today's aerosols. I am not in that alignment, but have been known to use a short piece of 4x4 post, place said post under the nest to see if will cover such, then a simple quick upward movement. If you missed one, was your own fault; no hesitation in the upward movement please.
This piece of history is only a Cabelas exclusive and in cylinder bore (all you could get when they first came out)

I like how you think!!! Thanks for sharing this with me!

And I’ve done my share of the gas (learned from my dad). Problem was I wasn’t that good of a shot with a bean can and gas and normally has to run like hell unless I was right there and very close.