Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

Well shooting .323” 32 caliber bullets in a .308” 30 caliber barrel has worked out ok so far.

On the 300 black out I don’t own one but have been having an awesome time with an efficient 30 Herrett which I think is similar. I’d really like to have one this size but in a 6.5 which might diss appoint after shooting a super accurate 6.5 BB?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:08 PM

Ackley proved that if the chamber neck is large enough so as not to pinch the neck onto the oversized bullet, there will be no pressure increase, due to powder pressure maximum which is produced some distance down the bore, dependent on the powder used. The average would run 8" to 12".
In his test, he bored the chamber neck so a .30/06 case could hold and discharge a .358", 150gr. bullet without pinching. He used a standard 150gr. load of 4895 & there was no pressure increase over the same case loaded with a .308" 150gr. in the original chamber. In the article, 1st or second edition of his book, he noted that during the was (WW11) |The Germans experimented with a rifle barrel that was .323" groove to groove at the breech, but tightened to .257" at the muzzle and attained "wonderful velocity/pressure ratios. This prompted this experiment.

This is the same or similar to using JS, .323" 8mm bullets in a J barrel that has from .318" to .321" groove dia.

If a .323" bullet will fit into a normal fired case from THAT rifle, there is no problem loading and shooting the large diameter bullets, even from an 1888 rifle - with appropriate loads.

If the larger bullet will not easily fit into a fired J rifle ctg case, then attempting to shoot oversized bullets is dangerous due to pressure spikes.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 PM
Supporting Member

Very very interesting info Daryl... I don’t recall hearing about PO’s test on this.

Thus it may explain why a couple we’ll know manufactures decided to use a .308” bore for a 32 caliber (.312”) cartridge?

All I can say is that my results was not what I expected (as in I expected much worse results than what I actually ended up with.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM

Volume 11- on page 31 in the "A Few Causes of Blowups" chapter.

In this one, he was discussing a case of an '06 blowing up when shooting an 8mm Mauser ctg. He noted that a normal 8mm Mauser ctg. will not chamber in a '06, however noted "if some 8mm ammunition is on the short side is used in a sloppy .30/06, an 8mm ctg. can be fired in a .30/06 chamber with relatively exciting results. Here again, such a blowup is not caused so much by the oversized bullet which is usually given credit for the reaction as it is by escaping gas caused by a ruptured case."

Parker O. then noted his experiment (performed many times) of enlarging the neck and throat in a standard .30/06 chamber, then loading 8mm bullets and firing them through the .30 cal. bore. He noted also to altering a GI .30/06 chamber to accept .35 calibre bullets. "It has been found that 180gr. Barnes (OS) bullets seated in a GI .30/06 cartridge using the original powder charges will pass through the .30 caliber barrel with no signs of undue pressure. It must be remembered that a bullet has to travel only a very short distance before it is sized to fit the bore through which it will pass."

Now, this was in book 11. I have a feeling this 'story' was also printed in his first book, as he used 150gr. bullets.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Supporting Member

Very interesting Daryl... recently acquired a 10” and a 14” 30 Herrett.. I did a chamber cast and was shocked to see the chamber in the 14” barrel, looks like it was made to shoot some very long heavy round nose bullets or something???
Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 AM
Supporting Member

Arthur Savage experimented with tight bores. You’ll find quite a few early savage 99’s with undersized bores.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 AM

Can anyone recall a wildcat round that came out 10 or so years ago. Size/capacity it sat between a 223 and 308, with case capacity of 35gr-37g. It was a bottleneck case, not a short magnum or benchrest cartridge. I can't recall much, I believe Starline did a limited production run or two of brass. The shortage of brass was the nail in the coffin as everyone was waiting for more cases to reload.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Can anyone recall a wildcat round that came out 10 or so years ago. Size/capacity it sat between a 223 and 308, with case capacity of 35gr-37g. It was a bottleneck case, not a short magnum or benchrest cartridge. I can't recall much, I believe Starline did a limited production run or two of brass. The shortage of brass was the nail in the coffin as everyone was waiting for more cases to reload.
what caliber? I can think of a few but none that have failed. 6.5 grendel(based of 7.62x39), 6.8 spc(based of the 30 remington), maybe the 30 RAR?(that one did kinda fail but a touch higher in capacity and a shortend 284 case essentially)
There are many wildcat's based off those cases and a few rebated variants of the 6.8spc (20, 22, and soon to be 24 Nosler)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Also, along with the one's listed was not the 6.5 creedmoor brought out numerous years back, but never took hold until just a few years back and seems like now it is the one to have ? Bill K
Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Also, along with the one's listed was not the 6.5 creedmoor brought out numerous years back, but never took hold until just a few years back and seems like now it is the one to have ? Bill K
Yeah the creedmoor's (6.5 and 6mm being the most common and the 22 gaining speed as well) are the hot ticket now but those are mid 40gr capacity cartridges which is why I left them out. there's also the Dashers, XC, x47 Lapuas but all of those are 40+gr cartridges