Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Default Sizing die ?

Who makes a die to size down 20 caliber bullets to 19 caliber ? Thinking of obtaining a 19 Cahoon, but since no lead free bullets are out there for 19's, would have to size down some 20's in lead free. Thank you for any info or direction on such. Bill K
Old 12-24-2019, 05:07 PM

I know Corbin makes bullet sizing dies. You may find something cheaper out there. Looks like his are about $180.

http://corbins.com/drawdies.htm#brd
Old 12-24-2019, 05:20 PM

Thank you. At least that is a starting place, if I continue with this project. Bill K
Old 12-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Supporting Member

Bill, I would think sizing down the harder solid copper alloy bullets vs lead core bullets might be an issue to consider. I am sure the sizing die maker might have some information on the capability and added pressure needed to resize them.

And I think Barnes has sintered core bullets, that might internally break if attempting to size them down much.

I would consider also calling our good friends at Nosler and seeing if someone who works the lead free machines, or a designer, has any suggestions on how much their bullets can be resized, surely they do some resizing in the manufacturing process.

Good luck

Allen
Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM

Allen: If I do decide to go this route the bullet I would be sizing down in not a solid copper. It would be the Nosler 20 cal lead free 32 grn tipped one's. Bill K
Old 12-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Bill, the 19 Calhoon is based off the Hornet case, Yes? If so, have you given any thought to resizing the Hornady 20 Cal 24gr NTX bullet down to .19 cal ??

I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to get bored with one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets and rebarrel it to a 20 Hornady Hornet and those 24gr NTX bullets would likely be my first pick to use.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Bill, the 19 Calhoon is based off the Hornet case, Yes? If so, have you given any thought to resizing the Hornady 20 Cal 24gr NTX bullet down to .19 cal ??

I keep thinking that one of these days I'm going to get bored with one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets and rebarrel it to a 20 Hornady Hornet and those 24gr NTX bullets would likely be my first pick to use.
Yes, it would be either or both the 24 NTX or the 32 grn Nosler lead free. I seem to get the best results with the Nosler in my 20 cal, now that I went to lead free here in commie ca. Bill K (PS I have also thought about the 20 HH)
Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Yes, it would be either or both the 24 NTX or the 32 grn Nosler lead free. I seem to get the best results with the Nosler in my 20 cal, now that I went to lead free here in commie ca. Bill K (PS I have also thought about the 20 HH)
With so many different 17's out there and so few 20's, I would have liked it better if Hornady had made it a 20 Hornady Hornet right from the get go instead of doing it in yet another 17.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
With so many different 17's out there and so few 20's, I would have liked it better if Hornady had made it a 20 Hornady Hornet right from the get go instead of doing it in yet another 17.
Would be nice, for many of us. But the trend seems to be mostly 17 & 22 Hornets, so for companies, sales of what they know is working is how they will go. Bill K
Old 12-24-2019, 11:00 PM

Bill,
I have the Corbin draw die for the .198" diameter bullets that you are more than welcome to borrow and try instead of spending the money on a new die. I have no intention on using it anytime this winter. All of my Calhoon stuff is already loaded up. Lol. I live in Central Ca. If you want to give it a try just give me a shout and I can get it to you.
Jay
(559)970-9501