Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2015, 03:25 AM

I have a F800GS. I would want the gun in the panniers in case I tip over in the rougher stuff. So the xp100 would be my choice. Can be bought or made in almost any caliber you would want. And you can go any barrel length to fit your needs.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 AM
Supporting Member

Default Contender

Another plug for the Contender, last time I had to travel and bulky gun cases were out I took a Contender and 2 scoped barrels. In a pinch you could configure into a pistol.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-29-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:17 PM

My bike was the first year of the "oil heads." They had the GS model, but the adventure package with all the crash bars in front and metal side cases was not available until a year or two later. Mine has the painted city cases made from composite and aftermarket crash bars over the cylinder heads. Unless you go down hard, the side cases don't get much contact. Mostly rests on the crash bars over the cylinder heads. Maximum width (so as to not go outside the side cases is about 33 inches. When riding, I try to keep my center of gravity as low as possible and as centered as possible. When taking a rifle with me in the past, I have put my rifle in my Eberlestock backpack/scabbard, fastened the top cover and then tied down behind the driver seat. My CZ is about 44 inches long, so there is at least 6 inches of overhang on the sides with it. A pistol configuration "in" the side case is another option.

I like the idea of a take apart gun such as the Thompson. I also appreciate the link to the xlr folding stock. I have wanted an xp or stryker for many years, but have not seen any in the used market around these parts (Salt Lake). Do you have a source for a build? Lots of other good ideas that have me thinking in new directions (lever action, bullpup, etc.) All of your suggestions are great and very helpful.

Who out there has experience shooting a thompson, xp or striker in a pistol configuration?
Burt
Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM

I would also suggest the TC Contender or Encore A good barrel can shoot very well and as others have said you can take several barrels with you to meet varied needs.

I mountain bike hunt with one because it fits in my backpack and is the easiest rifle I have found to ride the brush filled old logging roads with.

There us also a folding stock being made by someone that is quicker to deploy than the factory take down method.

I am fooling around with a dovetailed, spring plunger locked, quick release forearm mounting method that holds some promise for mounting a barrel quickly without having to mess with a screwdriver.

Good luck

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 PM

Gunbroker has some decent prices on XPs if you keep an eye out. Seen 2 recently: 1 35 REM with 2 stocks and Burris 1-4x scope $650; 1 7mmbr with Redfield scope $805. In that range of prices you could have a gun ready to shoot if you find one In a caliber you want. Building one would cost more but you could make it anything you want(barrel length, caliber, etc) Last one I had built was built by Macs Gunworks in Gillette WY. I don't think it would fit in my panniers, It has 18" barrel on it. But I have a couple stock that would.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Hey Burt,

I have had several CZs made with 16+ inch barrels that end up with an overall length of just shy of 36". I love the Contender and Encores I have (and have had), and the single shot aspect is not a problem. But, a break open rifle changes the point of aim pretty drastically, when reloading. I have gotten pretty fast at assembly/disassembly of a CZ stock from the barreled action. So, the dimension gets dang short with a 16 inch barrel.

I would recommend a CZ 17 Hornet with the barrel cut to 16 + inches. This would give you one nice packable rifle, no matter how you decided to carry it and the 17 HH would be quite a performer for varmints big and small, without a lot of additional ammo weight.
JMO,

Bill
Old 01-30-2015, 02:44 AM

Good idea Bill. Any idea how much you would give up (fps) on a 17hh with a barrel cut down to 16 inches? that would be about 8 inches shorter than a stock rifle. 17hh or 17hmr ammo would be pretty easy to pack in quantity vs. 223 or 204.

Not sure I understand what you are saying with regard to reloaded ammo. accuracy and a break action gun.
Burt
Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
I was hoping that you wouldn't say that. I have not be a big AR fan, but in this case, you might have the right solution. I prefer something that does not throw my brass into the surrounding sagebrush. A good AR does shoot well and can be broken down into parts. Might even make taking more than one upper possible. But, I have no AR experience, so I look to others for that insight. If a handi rifle shot better, that might be somewhat of a solution. Its just hard to go from CZ to Handi rifle. Thompson contender would not be much of a step down .... and, a 17hh barrel would be pretty PD and squirrel unfriendly. Burt
There is a cheap and easy solution to keep your brass from going into the sage brush, the Caldwell Brass Catcher:

http://www.btibrands.com/product/ar-...brass-catcher/

I have one and it works excellent. My only note on the product is they claim it will hold a 100 rounds of brass which is true if you are holding the rifle sideways. In reality I have to empty around 50 - 60 rounds which is perfectly fine with me since I have yet to lose or drop a round of brass since installing. It also attaches/detaches quickly with the quick attach mount supplied.

I would then look at getting a Pelican or other similar hard case with pick and pluck foam to put the broken down AR into for safe transport to/from the field while on the motorcycle. Anything inside the case should withstand any impacts that may occur in a low speed crash or tip over situation without damage to the contents. The case could then be strapped across the pillion seat and two panniers to secure it.

One hard case option:

http://www.impact-cases.com/3614-a.htm
Old 01-30-2015, 04:54 PM

I checked the width with the multivarios on, with a hard case and there was too much hangover. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, that was with a CZ varmint factory barrel. Another option is one of those two wheel drive Urals with sidecar and a factory camo paint job. Those Ruskies knew a good engine when they seen one. With the sidecar you could haul anything you wanted. Collecting bikes isn't a bad hobby either!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 PM

One could certainly fill up the sidecar with dead coyote carcasses (I'm an optimist). Those Urals are interesting. Haven't seen one for a long time. I am going to do a little research on all the good ideas given here. It may turn out to be a lot of trial and error. Hopefully, not to much error.
Burt