Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM

45 Long Colt is always nice:

And a 30M1 carbine goes without saying:

And maybe a Tommy Gun:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM

Hey Burt,

I always figured a max loss of FPS at about 25fps per inch, you should not see a powder capacity case like the 17HH loose more than 90-100 fps, Max, with a 6 inch reduction in barrel length from 22 to 16.5 inches.

When ejection reloading single-shot actions, like the TCs, it requires a loss of aim and re-aquiring of target much more than the rifle maintaining direction and just an opening and cycling of a bolt. Shot a lot of PDs with both bolt and TC rifles, I would prefer a short barrel bolt over the break-action even if both are single shot loaded.

I also, used a dirt bike years ago and carried both a 16 inch barrel rifle and six-shooter 22LR....went through a lot of 22s and hit my target far less than when the rifle came in use. I have to admit, there are a lot more options available today that back then we not even thought of.

I just think if you have a choice you would prefer the bolt-action short barrel repeater over the single shot, when all compromises are accounted for......
....but, again, this is JMO.....

You will probably be happy with what ever you do, because of the thought you are now investing in the project.

Bill
Old 01-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks Bill. When you said "reloading" I was thinking ammo, not rifle and could not figure out what the difference would be. But, I agree, all things being equal, I think that I would prefer a repeater of some type as well. separating the stock from the barreled action, and using a 16 inch barrel seems like a good option as well. I could replace typical slot style action bolts with a hex version and carry a torque driver to assure consistent tension on the action. A typical stock would be about 30 inches in length and a barreled action would be less than that. In fact, I could probably get by with a longer barrel (plus action) cut to match the length of the stock. I have a little savage 22lr bolt gun with a 16 inch barrel that - with the action - measures about 24 inches. The stock on that gun measures 30 inches. Using a folding stock could even make things much shorter.

When I was much younger -- 40 years ago, I had dedicated trail bike - Kawasaki and a couple of trail 90's. I would put my Browning 270 in a scabbard attached to the handle bars and front forks. That was not a very ideal set-up as it interfered with both steering and suspension, causing some expected mishaps. But ......... it sure was fun.
Burt
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 PM

ChickenTheif,
I couldn't help but notice the Sheriffs car parked in the back of the photo with the 45 long colt. Makes me wonder if the owner didn't attract too much attention from the wrong people. Other than that, beautiful leather work and representative of the modern day cowboy. Yeseree Bob.
Burt
Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 PM

I have thought about some kind of a scabbard, maybe mounted between the pannier and seat or between pannier and rear tire somehow so it would be protected. I do like the short lever guns so one of those properly mounted would be cool. Just need to take the time someday and pull the bike in the shop and play around with some different mount designs. Love that pic with the 45 in the holster.

Dennis
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 AM

Jim has a hard case scabbard attached to his BMW GS, at least he did. Just food for thought; If it is a Contender Super 14 that you carry under the seat of your bike or in the side cases, even if it is apart at the time you are pulled over, it is considered a concealed weapon. Don't ask how I know this! Get a ccw permit and save a yourself a headache.

I would take said Contender under the seat to go shoot ground hogs and never noticed that the zero had wandered because of vibration. It packed well and shot great when I got there. A break barrel rifle is hard to beat when it comes to packing on a motorcycle. I also use a soft case with shoulder strap that works very well. I also just carry some of my rifles across my back just using the sling, but that attracts alot of attention, and some phone calls.