Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 AM

Default hornet on xp100

I recently bought a xp100 in 221 fireball. I am interested in having it rebarreled in 17 AH. My question is do I need to get a new bolt or can I have a sako extractor installed. I know that lots of guys use a .473" bolt with a sako extractor to pull out ppc cases with a case head of .443". The difference is about the same with the 221 and hornet.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 AM

I some times hate it when people do this, but I can't resist. The 17 FB can be loaded to anything the 17 AH can do plus some, so why would you want to change from a FB to a Hornet based round? I guess if you really need a Hornet case it could be done. Biggest problem I think is the Hornet rim is a lot thicker than the "rim" of the FB, so you may have a little modification to do, you may even have to bush the bolt face so the extractor can get get a good grip on the case, then there is the problem with clocking the barrel so the breach cut for the extractor will be in the right place when extracting a rimmed round. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 03-02-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM

I have 2 XP-100 being chambered for 14 AH in my shop and one in on a PTG hornet bolt and the other is on a PTG .384 (221 FB) bolt face both have Sako extractors hope this helps
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmag View Post
I have 2 XP-100 being chambered for 14 AH in my shop and one in on a PTG hornet bolt and the other is on a PTG .384 (221 FB) bolt face both have Sako extractors hope this helps

PTG hornet bolt?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
PTG hornet bolt?
Yes couple pics of the bolt and trued action

Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default group buy

I thought there was a group doing a buy on XP bolts from PTG and you could pick the bolt face you wanted. Gotta be the way to go if you want a Hornet based round. For low bucks you can keep your original bolt and barrel.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 AM

That fluted bolt looks pretty good. And being a 14 cal, is pretty cool too. Can't wait to see the finished gun. Not sure why anyone would want to wreck an xp by changing it to such an unusual caliber though . They have been making 308s, 22LRs, 30-06s, etc for a looooooong time now, so no reason for anyone to want/need something different or unique is there ?

Dennis