Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 AM

I have one of the Savage model 40's. It's a rimfire action basically with two rear locking lugs. The bolt handle forms both locking lugs as it passes completely thru the bolt body. It's actually a well made rifle and shoots pretty well. It was originally going to be offered in 223 Remington as well but I don't think it ever was. I don't think it would stand up to the pressure increase but I don't actually know. The only part of the rifle I would call cheap is the load ramp/ejector as its a rough stamped piece of thin metal. The rest of the rifles pretty good.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
That sounds interesting. Will you run a 222 reamer in short, or is it a full custom reamer?

I thought about doing a fireball in 223 magazines. This would give you plenty of room for whatever bullet you want and the brass and bolt face is no problem. I guess I wanted to use the same powders and bullets I already use in the hornets. It seems like the fireball is too big for hornet powders and too small for 223 powders. AA1680 is about the only good choice (from what I recall).
Plenty of good powders for the straight .221 Fireball, and I would have just gone with the FB, if I could have found my tight-neck reamer. Alas, I could not, and a new reamer would have been as much (almost) as a custom reamer, so I went full-blown custom reamer from PT&G.

TBR
Old 03-27-2020, 12:23 AM

Not sure if this is of any interest or not. Savage model 40 in 22 Hornet. The action is basically a rimfire and the photo of the action with the bolt out is an attempt to show the feed ramp/ ejector, the only actually cheap piece on the rifle.]mg]
Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 AM
Supporting Member

Personal Update - I have decided to try a Howa Mini for my next Spitfire and CZ 527 for the Hornets. Ordered one of each, also bought a couple stocks for the CZ, one is the B&C varmint stock and the other is a pretty handmade stock from a guy in Oregon that I found while looking at CZ527 stuff on Ebay. Also ordered a couple SS mags from Calhoon and aluminum bottom metal for the Howa. BTW, there is going to be a BDL style bottom metal available for the Howa pretty soon.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

Believe it or not, TBR, but I have been thinking almost the exact same thing. My idea was to push the shoulder of a 221FB back about .150" and leave the neck long kinda like a 222. I think your cartridge will be very similar to that. I haven't pursued it because I'm having too much fun with the Spitfire right now. Will be interesting to see how that turn out. BTW, how are you forming the tanuki brass?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Believe it or not, TBR, but I have been thinking almost the exact same thing. My idea was to push the shoulder of a 221FB back about .150" and leave the neck long kinda like a 222. I think your cartridge will be very similar to that. I haven't pursued it because I'm having too much fun with the Spitfire right now. Will be interesting to see how that turn out. BTW, how are you forming the tanuki brass?
I bought a Redding form and trim die for forming .221 FB brass from .223 Rem cases and ground .110" off from the base to allow the shoulder to be pushed back that extra .110". Technically, the base might be squeezed down slightly and the dimension will be slightly smaller, but I think it will be well within normal tolerances.

BTW, my only problem with the Mini Howa was the plastic bottom "metal." Good news on aluminum bottom metal...I can't believe I am happy that aluminum bottom metal is available...always insisted on milled steel. Oh well, I, too, have evolved.

TBR
Old 03-27-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Not sure if this is of any interest or not. Savage model 40 in 22 Hornet. The action is basically a rimfire and the photo of the action with the bolt out is an attempt to show the feed ramp/ ejector, the only actually cheap piece on the rifle.]mg]
Thanks David.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Might look at the .220 Meteorite, just using FB brass instead of .357 Magnum. I removed .110" from the base of the die, and polished the .221FB die out to the correct diameter.

To correct the base diameter, I filled a brass FB case with lead, cut the neck and shoulder off at least .120" down the body of the case, (easy because it's solid now) and drilled the primer hole deep enough to run a screw into to hold in the drill. Spread a thin layer of lapping compound on a steel plate, and rolled the brass case against it using a second steel plate with medium force-just enough to get good embedment.

Now, spin the shortened case in a drill, and you can polish up the base section of the die without changing the neck and shoulder area-this will let you form up some cases to try it out, without the expense of custom dies.