Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

Default Down Under (somewhat off topic)

I read this story today about a proposed cull of "field lions" in Australia. The Aussies ought to sell hunting licenses with a small bounty for every varmint eliminated. I for one would hop on the plane for 24hrs to take a crack at getting rid of them. Its bad enough the damage they do to wild birds in Britain, but in Australia and New Zealand their introduction has been devastating to native mammals and birds. Also I usually find if Bridgette Bardot is against it then I am usually in favour of it.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

In ohio, ODNR has a law on record that states if a cat is over 100yds from a dwelling it's fair game. Feral cats are just like pigs except the kill animals where pigs root dirt and kill animals.

Adam
Old 07-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Our local "Threatened" specie is certainly a victim of kitty, yet some of the most vocal supporters of listing the bird (and killing the economy) still insist theirs needs freedom to roam.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:45 PM

There was a website called Ausvarmints.com, I think it's now defunct, where the subject of lawn leopards, porch panthers, etc. was often discussed. Most of the guys there believed deeply in "Use Enough Gun" and relied on the Hornet for most of their "moggie" removals. (dunno why, but they call them "Moggies" downunder).
There were some frankly hilarious threads of 30+ pages, which always kept me in stitches, and the obligatory trophy pics (their feral cats can get pretty big, 10kilos is not uncommon.
When the HMR came out, some of the guys switched over to it and had good success, but I think most of them preferred the .22 Hornet, or something similar, .218ABs, and of course some centerfire .17s.
In some places, they actually plan weeklong hunting trips for them, much like I do on my deer-hunting trips, or a prairie dog shoot, although the number of shots isn't anything like a good PD shoot.
They also had discussions on camels, donkeys, buffalo, etc. Anything, ANYTHING non-native is considered vermin over there, including wild horses, which they also shoot on sight.
It was an interesting site. I miss it.

Last edited by glennlasher; 07-22-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:01 PM

When I was growing up in South Western Ontario, the game regulations stated it was the DUTY of every licensed hunter to eradicate any domestic carnivore found more than 500yards from any out-buildings.

We used to hunt cats after the rabbit season was over, 28th Feb. and the woodchucks came out in April. That gave us just about 1 1/2 months of field cat shooting with our .22 semiautos.
I can imagine the damage they'd do if numbering in the millions- yikes!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 PM

Yeah Feral cats are a real problem here "Downunder"

They are dispatched generally with whatever firearm comes to hand as be that a 22 Hornet or 300 Winmag.

As Glen said they often do grow up to the size of a European Red Fox

And the Ausvarmint forum is alive it is not a big forum but does have a very welcoming/Friendly place.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM

We will spend 10 minutes trying to whistle in a fox we see in the spot light - then give up. Happily spend half an hour trying to get a wild cat within range. Just about every Aussie hunter I know takes great pleasure in despatching a feral moggie.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:47 AM

this is at the camp ground/pub at William Creek. If you've seen Crocodile Dundee you get the idea what the pub is like. Out back South Australia

Thought you might like the photo

Old 07-25-2015, 12:52 AM

Funny as heck but, the smell has to be nasty!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:20 AM

and here is another one

The scenic hills of Bonnie Doon and a mates 257Wby in the background