Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Default 17 TCM Savage Striker?

Got a couple questions I'm hoping to get answers to. Want a "budget" walking 200-300ish yard prairie dogger setup. Thinking on using what I have at my disposal--a Striker action with a magnum bolt face. Hoping to switch the bolt head out to 223. Have heard that the Savage ejectors may not work well with the 223 case rims. Also have a 17 cal barrel fitted to a Rem. Model 600, and don't know what it would take to get that refitted to the Savage if it could even be done. Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM

With the savage action (or virtually any forward bolt lug rifle) your going to run into the issue of cases being ejected before clearing the ejection port with short cases.

Now you can remove the ejector and manually pluck off the cases by hand with success and a standard .223 bolt head will work fine for this. When you have a barrel made it would be wise to have the breech face coned slightly (not enough to run into case support issue's but better than a 90' wall)

Should be a barrel and bolt head swap away. Make sure to get the correct bolt head. I seem to recall the striker being lh bolt but rh eject so not sure if it required a special bolt head or not?

As for the barrel I know 700 barrels can be re-threaded to fit savages but you end up with some overlapped threads which can be a booger sometimes. Not sure if the tenon/thread pitch is similar on a R600. Savages have smallish tenon's than the R700 so if there is enough meat on there to cut the old chamber off and start fresh then you may be in luck.

You can check this by locking a caliper to 1.060" (maybe a few thou higher for a buffer) then see where it catches on your current barrel. then measure from there to your tenon and if it stays that diamter or more for 1.6" then your G2G. now if it has threads if their 20 TPI then you should be able to pick up off the old thread and continue from there.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-05-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 AM

Thks. Slayer--I'll check out the measurements.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Supporting Member

Just remove the ejector pin and spring and go single shot. Works like a champ. Case stays on the bolt head till you pick it off. No chasing brass. All my Savage rigs are single shots. Either actions OR bolt head mods. Wouldn't have it any other way.
The ejectors work well with the .223 case. It's the SHORT case that causes problems.
Short case pops off the bolt head as it is pulled out of the chamber and before it gets to the port.
That's where the single shot set up comes into play.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Thanks Sir Mike--great info!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Hmm with green mountains big barrel sale (which ends today fyi) I decided to pick up a 11" 17 cal blank to make myself a pistol barrel for a straight pull AR in my 17 Mamba wildcat
Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Supporting Member

I like the way you think.
One of my "better" barrels is a Green Mountain. (I think I have four?) I hesitate to mention them because folks find out them and the quality product and the next time you order, it'll take a loooong time to get it.
Been known to have one hit my front door in less than a week. Was so surprised at the delivery time, I turned around and ordered another and it took 5 days to get. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 07-07-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
I like the way you think.
One of my "better" barrels is a Green Mountain. (I think I have four?) I hesitate to mention them because folks find out them and the quality product and the next time you order, it'll take a loooong time to get it.
Been known to have one hit my front door in less than a week. Was so surprised at the delivery time, I turned around and ordered another and it took 5 days to get. Nothing wrong with that!
Yeah there the only company I have used and so far so good. (I did buy a BHW blank recently but have not shot it yet) I ordered 3 in total this 4th special, missed the boat last year and the year prior I got 3 that time too including one of their pre-chamberd/extensioned AR 15 blanks. Then a 45 barrel for my co-worker. all have been nice to work with.