Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM

al
Instead of castor oil try vaseline. No mess. My lube is 3 parts anhydrous lanoline 1 part vaseline.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM

I was taught by my mentor (Randy Robinett) to use a mixture of anyhydrous lanolin and pure neets foot oil. I've experimented with some other stuff but nothing has worked as well in my dies.

One thing for certain....and George may have touched on this...there needs to be a certain amt. of 'drag' on the point up. Slippery is not always better.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 AM

Ideally I think the lubricant should aim to provide a consistent coeffcient of friction over our temperature and pressure ranges. I think the 'drag' effect can be described as consistent amount of back-pressure. Given we are hand swaging by feel the drag provides feedback.

If you are expecting a subtle amount of drag or friction with each stroke, then you know something is wrong if there is no drag or too much drag. Depnding how much flex is in your press and how much feel you have for swaging, might dictate your preference for lubricant? Some of us might prefer more or less drag than others, and therefore there is no one perfect swaging lubricant formulation.

This has certainly given me cause to think about experimenting with lubricants for swaging. It's possible I might end up having diffferent lubricants for different presses, to get the best performace.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM

Al as much as I like I your comments about lube I could care less what Randy says about lube. We all have lubes that do just fine. Mentors tend to overplay their hands and their students seem to become copy cats.

I think most everybody is using anhydrous lanolin as their base lube and cut it with something else. Besides that have a good day Al.

Stephen
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 AM

Stephen, I have no comment on your comments.

Too bad...this had been a good thread.......... -Al
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 AM

AL, why isn't the bullet thread a good Thread. Your guys thrown a few barbs, he wasn't called on them. Too thin skin Al.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 AM

Stephen, R.G. hasn't posted a single comment in your entire 'Bullet Lube' thread.

I'm far from being thin skinned, as anyone that knows me personally can attest to. I just won't waste time with intentionally rude behavior and remarks.

Take care. -Al
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 AM

Al
Pretty crasse comment from a guy with no comment. Your only hurting the new bullet maker that's trying to put all the info together by leaving. Wasn't long ago you were a new bullet maker and I was answering your questions. Do what you want Al you got your own Mentor.

Stephen
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM

+1 on the anyhydrous lanolin and pure neets foot oil. All natural. I tend to stay away from any petroleum based stuff, I find it harder to clean off the finished bullets.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 AM

MI
Since I stated in my point-up Thread I leave the lube on my finished bullets I don't have the final clean-up some of you have. Read my point-up Thread lots of room for discussion there. Thanks for you comments MI.

Stephen Perry