Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
I recommend them but its not all that hard to adjust the other way. i'm pretty sure someone else on hear uses an o-ring to tweak final adjustments. that would work good for me also. the only down side to the o-ring from my viewpoint is I grind faces of nut square to the threads so when nut is locked down cavity will be square to press george
I was using an o-ring, but found using 7/8" shim washers 0.002" thick quite repeatable. I also use an 'engineering' flat 7/8" washer to make large adjustments for multiple core seaitng or point forming operations.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
Ian, personally I don't buy into the column theory I do believe that j4 got tired of chasing the weight of jackets and just made cores a certain weight and let the jackets fall where ever they do. I did this years ago they just can't seem to get lot to lot consistency. if you look at the light 30's the core isn't much longer than a pea. just enough to get into ogive and lock in place sooo they are way to the rear of bullet for c.o.g. 6's run further up to help get weight higher and increase b.c. . I have checked some seated cores and they run around 66% to 75% in relation to length of jacket. I would stay close to the standard weight area for jacket used.
I was suprised by Berger's attempts at the column theory, but certainly hopinig it was successful. Could you imagine how simple swaging would become if you just made one core weight?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

You'se guys are getting so technical. Hope the new guys can keep up. Keep it going George learn these guys some lessons.

Stephen
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

Aaron, that's pretty much what I went to about 6-7 yrs ago it was just to painful to order jackets wait 3-6 months then weigh then either cut and squirt or order cores and wait , before I could even start to make a bullet. now I just order 45.5 gr cores and what jackets weigh is what they weigh. theres no real difference between a 68 or a 67.2 you will notice . I just mark box with what they end up weighing. george
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

'Morning, George.

It's amazing how many of us have been making 'column bullets' for many years, now isn't it? Looking at my records on the 1.00" .30's, I've had jacket weights from 40.7 to 42.3....and everything in between. It used to drive me crazy until I finally just started doing cores based on the avg. jacket weight.

My '117's' might be 116.8 or closer to 118...it doesn't really matter. Once a guy figures out the 'sweet spot' of how short/long the cores have to be to shoot well in a given die, the weight is pretty much academic. Especially with the .30's as they have such a wide tune window.

Just my observations with my stuff. Hope youre feeling better and continue to do well! -Al
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member

Al, same boat as you got the implant in back yesterday seems alright for now ,hows your recovery coming along. george
Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM

Al & George
Want to tell you guys a story about bullet weights. Friends of mine, Jerry Thornbrugh, was shooting with Glenn Price back in the 80's, both Champion BR shooters. They took turns loading and shooting 100 yd BR. Glenn told Jerry how important bullet weight was to shooting good groups. Jerry wanted to prove to Glen that bullet weight was not the determining factor for good accuracy.

So Jerry loaded up 5 cartridges for Glenn's 6x47 Rem., with 5 different bullet weights all Berger. Jerry used a 60, 62, 65, 68, and a 70 grn bullet. He gave them to Glenn without telling him.

Glenn shoots a one hole group and asks Jerry to load 5 more. Jerry, having a sense of humor, asks Glenn what bullet weight he wants him to load. Glenn says what bullet weight were the last 5. Jerry tells Glenn the last 5 were 5 different bullet weights all set at the same seating depth. Glenn couldn't believe what happened. Jerry told Glenn bullet weight was not as important as some think.

Now I would have been skeptical if Jerry told me 5 different weights could shoot a 1 hole group some kind of .1. But Jerry had done this himself several times before.

Now I'm not saying mix your bullets up. But as Berger is showing with their Column bullets final bullet weight is not numero uno in what makes bullets shoot good groups. To me core seating and forming ogives are makes good bullets.

What say you guys?

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-03-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 AM

I think the BR shooters are becoming a little less OCD about the whole reloading process. On the other hand, the long range crowd are very OCD.

The long range guys argue that 0.1gr difference at 1000y makes enough difference when score shooting to lose a point? Proving this has a signifcant impact over velocity ES and a BC error of +/-2% might be impossible.

I think it's this video in the series that made me laugh pretty hard http://www.youtube.com/embed/dFky29eYBYE.

I do try to keep my 155gr-308 @ 155.75gr to stay under the 156gr limit for Palma shooting. The same goes for the 80gr-224 @ 80.75gr.

I also think the longer jackets can vary in avergae weight up to 10% between batches, as opposed to the shorter jackets. It just makes it too difficult to pre-swage cores to a single average weight. Certainly with the J4 I get delivered anyway.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 AM

aaron
You long range and Score guys have nothing on short range BR guys.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 AM

Default Core Seating

Just to add to the good method of core seating that George and Randy use I use a measure method on measuring cores behind the lead line. I core seat hard minimum bleed by. But I measure knowing the inside diameter of my core seat die. Not wanting to rupture my die I fill my die 100% not 101%. Within a couple tenths this becomes my final shank diameter. Pressure ring is formed as the bullet leaves the point up die.

Stephen Perry