Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Speer 46gr "Bee" bullets

While shopping at Grafs, I picked up a box of these quite inexpensively to make up the 50$ minimum order. They're Speer #1024, the .224" 46gr FNSP they say is for the .218 Bee cartridge.

I plan to run them in my .357-magnum based wildcat, for small game hunting. I am looking for the design impact velocity for good expansion with minimal fragmentation.

Does anyone have experience with these? The wildcat case is essentially a rimmed .221 Fireball, only a few thousandths fatter at the base and 1.290" long instead of 1.4". Capacity is essentially 20gr of water, averaging all my formed but unfired cases. Barrel is a 1-12 twist, so these should be OK I'd hope-or are they too fragile and explode if I run them too fast?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:05 AM

I shoot them in a Browning 53 in 218 Bee. I cant say for sure but if your looking to save game animals for the table I think your going to have to use head shots. They do a job on gophers out to 80-100 yards. After that the front bead covers to much to sight precisely. My impression is you'll need to down load to get controlled expansion instead of fragmentation. Good Luck
Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 AM

I was afraid of that. At least I'll not start pushing these 3000FPS+ thinking they'll hold up.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 AM

I ran those 33gr.(I thought) Speer Bee bullets to 3,800fps in my Ruger #1 and they shot poorly, overt an inch but did not explode on the way to the target.