Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Default .17 Donaldson Wasp

Anyone here played with the 17 Donaldson Wasp?

I have no need for 2 .17 Hornets Martini's and though I might punch one out to .17 DW.

The .219 DW is an incredible shooting gun. Wonder what could be done with a .17?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Anyone here played with the 17 Donaldson Wasp?

I have no need for 2 .17 Hornets Martini's and though I might punch one out to .17 DW.

The .219 DW is an incredible shooting gun. Wonder what could be done with a .17?
I played around with the idea for a while, also the zipper, and finally decided on 20 Ackley bee. And also the 20 rimmed vartarg. I don't do 17 caliber because my borescope doesn't fit inside. But I have been tempted. I did chamber one 17 Fireball for a friend and thought it would make a nice Martini round. I had a bob snap extractor sitting around not being used but finally decided I'm going to keep all my martinis with the rimmed extractor cartridges.

Last edited by chuckshooter; 06-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Some time back I made a .221 Fireball on a Cadet. Used either .357 Mag or .357 Maximum brass, can't remember, been a while. Whichever is long enough.. I know I was impressed with how it shot when I tested it for the customer and always thought I should make one for my self.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:50 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure what caliber, but (http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...the-Past-Rifle)!!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Got a Slightly risky warning from my Virus protection program when I tried to follow that link, NorCalMikie. so I didn't go. It has PUP's

Last edited by Double D; 06-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Supporting Member

FYI: That thread was on Benchrest Central.com. Thought you folks might find it interesting.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Martini Extractor

Chuckshooter. I have heard of the Snapp designed extractor for years but never seen one. Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of yours? I modified my cadet for rimless with good results, and I would be interested to see if it resembles Snapp's design.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rivard View Post
Chuckshooter. I have heard of the Snapp designed extractor for years but never seen one. Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of yours? I modified my cadet for rimless with good results, and I would be interested to see if it resembles Snapp's design.
I already sold mine to a friend but,
this is what a bob snap design looks like. and if anyone is looking for a standard extractor, there's a guy on gun broker and ebay selling a new cnc machined one for $55. I bought two to have on hand as I own six martini's and don't want to run the risk of not being able to get one should I ever break one of mine.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Chuckshooter, thank you for the drawing, that is way different than what I did. Looks like a lot of work but should work fine.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 AM

That Hoffman is similar to what Styer did in converting the 577/450 Turkish Martini to 7.65 x 53 Turkish, I have one right here.

Only three parts, extractor, extractor bar and spring.

I have never seen a report of these not working. The only problem reported with this conversion was breaking of the Hinge pin hole. These guns are often found with reinforcing plates on the sides to support these hole.

The Hoffman (Snapp) extractors seemed less than vigorous extracting. Since I saw (acquired) this Turkish extractor and noticed the Radius on the front, I have wondered if the Snapp extractors have that radius.

Does anyone have a Snapp extractor handy to take a picture and show if the radius is there. it been 25 or 30 years since I handled one.

In fairness, I have to say I have never handled a Turkish rifle with this extractor. I only have the extractor. It is a bucket list Martini for me.