Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Rem. 600

Made a private deal last night on a factory walnut MOHAWK 6mm
I've only seen photos of it and it's being shipped to me.
Appears to be just average condition.

I was looking for a project rifle whereby I can redo the wood and even re-barrel.
It might make a good 6BR ...22BR....20BR
May even try to keep it original as much as possible with some clean-up being done.

I know other members own the model 600
What do you have or what have you done with yours.
Has the action provided reliable accuracy either in its original or upgraded state ?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Supporting Member

The 600 is a very stout platform to tinker with. My father has one in .308 that was purchased out of a Kmart barrel for under 200 bucks. We found an HS Precision ADL stock and steel bottom metal. I bedded the kit in Devcon and added a Leupold 2.5-8 in Talley rings. It's a very accurate walking rig with factory gold medal match ammo producing groups in the .3's when I can do my part. Very excited to do some load development with Berger HVLD's. We also found one in .222 that is a real performer. Would love to have one in 6mm Rem!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .17 Longshot View Post
The 600 is a very stout platform to tinker with. My father has one in .308 that was purchased out of a Kmart barrel for under 200 bucks. We found an HS Precision ADL stock and steel bottom metal. I bedded the kit in Devcon and added a Leupold 2.5-8 in Talley rings. It's a very accurate walking rig with factory gold medal match ammo producing groups in the .3's when I can do my part. Very excited to do some load development with Berger HVLD's. We also found one in .222 that is a real performer. Would love to have one in 6mm Rem!!!
Was that stock in-letted for a REM600 and was the bottom metal made to fit a REM600 ?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM

I have a 600 in 243 Win. and a 660 in 222. The nicest bottom metal replacement I am aware of is made by Willie Manning in Oregon; anodized CNC machined aluminum. Bought one two years ago for my 660. Perfect fit. Cost was $85 shipped.
Also am the original owner of a 600. Put a steel trigger guard on the 600. Some inletting was required. Willie's is better and cheaper.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/5031669/10
Old 02-07-2019, 07:06 PM

Default 600

I have pretty much the same gun in the Model 660 in a 6mm Rem., My gun dosen't have the rib and has a little longer barrel. I don't remember the load off hand but it shoots some old 95 grain Nosler Partitions quite well. There is a guy over on the 24 hour Campfire that makes and sells the bot. metal to fit these guns. I have been meaning to buy that item for quite awhile, have never been to fond of the plastic bot.

Torgy
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Default .

What John Henry said
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

I should have been more specific with bottom metal because it was an ADL it was only the trigger guard. We found the stock on eBay a long time ago. I made no alterations for fitment so I can only assume it was inletted for the 600. A problem I did have was securing the front of the trigger guard which I ended up resolving by drilling and tapping a small piece of thin steel and shortening the screw to avoid interference with the operation of the magazine. I'll see if I can get a photo uploaded.

Last edited by .17 Longshot; 02-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:35 PM

Another what John Henry said.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM

These old rifles provide a fellow with a warm feeling of ownership.
Looking forward to making some upgrades to my rifle - that aluminum bottom metal change-over is definite "go" ...I see EGW makes a rail but I'm not a fan of their design since the screws tighten down onto the action ...maybe there's a better rail out there...otherwise I'll have to use the EGW
Sure is a variety of replacement stocks out there... Boyds', Stockys, McMillan,
Anybody upgrade their trigger on 600/660's ?
Or is the factory trigger adjustable ?