Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM

Default What kind of pressures and how can I estimate them?

I first want to thank Frank Brakefield who has been very patient and incredibly helpful as I feel my way into this new-to-me arena of Wildcats. While I am working on my first, another has piqued my interest and brought up some questions.

First and foremost, how can I go about estimating pressure ranges of a wildcat? Specifically I am thinking of something like a .357/.22 or 41 special/.22 or something like that for a 5 shot revolver. I know, I know... not the best platform, but I have my reasons.

The revolver would be a Single Six with a custom 5 shot cylinder (obviously) and a cut down rimfire barrel. I am sure anything I can think of has already been done and I will come back and ask specific questions about performance, loads, specifications, etc.

I have been shooting for a long time, but have never gotten into wildcats, so I am absolutely open to any input.

Many thanks
Mark
Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Board Sponsor

Quote:
I think your project will be expensive and very disappointing
50% agree with that statment

Quote:
Back in the dark ages, there was a cartridge called the Remington .22 Jet, and it was chambered in a S&W "K" frame revolver. The cartridge was based on the .357 case necked down to 22, with a gentle shoulder.

It was an absolute nightmare to live with. The cases set back and locked up the cylinder, and there was nothing that could be done to make the gun usable.
And 100% disagree with hat one. Nightmare it was not nor is it still, you just can't expect to get super velocities with it. They are very accurate and a breeze to shoot with, I love all of mine.

However to the issue at hand:
Revolvers are very picky about bottlenecked cases. They can be used but the loads MUST be mild. If they are hot at all they will push the case head against the breech, blow the shoulder forward just enough to lock the cylinder down from the friction. Can it be done? YES! Now you need to look at two very key issues here, what are you looking to achieve? and how much do you want to spend? Do you really need to reinvent a new cartridge to do what you want? Look at it closly before you jump in with both feet.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com