Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Supporting Member

Default 17-222 Pet Loads?

Would any one care to share there “Pet Loads” for the 17-222?
As much detail as you care to give.
Such as primers, brass used, barrel length & twist.
Thanks Larry
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Just about finished with my 17-222 Sako. I have some starting load data, so when I get some idea how it shoots I will try to post my result to the site.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member

While this isn’t really a Pet load (yet) my 26” Lilja liked this load and it was a safe load in my riffle leaving the primers rounded but the load was shot in November of last year and I have not shot it for groups (Been waiting for a relatively nice day)….

23.0 grs Tac
BR-4 Primers
25 gr V-Max
RP cases

It sure has no problems hitting what I put the crosshairs on and at 4150 fps it has been making a nasty mess of it. Same powder with 30 gr bullets was disappointing results

Last edited by GLWenzl; 03-10-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Supporting Member

Default Gary

Is this the 17-222 with the 1-9 barrel Kevin built? I'm sitting here with a Rem 17VS 1-9 that won't shoot 30's for spit, 25's either for that matter. I've got a Douglas 1-9 barrel and the combo keeps inching it's way North to Kevin, hopefully one day it will make it out the door . How does your rifle like the 30's? Still glad you built the 17-222 instead of the 17Rem? I've got a Sako 17-222 sporter that shoots the 25's into small holes, but about 150 fps slower than my 17Rems. I want a 17 that shoots 30's, just not sure if bigger isn't better.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Supporting Member

Yes this is another one of Kevin's master pieces!

I have been a baaaad boy. only worked with it a very small amount so far (It shoots the 25 V-Max soooo well). It likes the initial 25 gr v-max load so much and disliked the initial 30 gr load that I got stuck in a rut with the 25s.... I need to try a different powder with the 30s to find out what it'll do. It wasn't that it would not shoot the 30s as it was the intended powder did not give satisfactory velocity.

I guess to answer your question.... YES I am happy with my decision to build the 17-222 but actually at one time I intended to use Ramshot Big Game with the 30 gr bullets and am thinking that a 17 Rem imp would be just the ticket. I might have to solicit a 17 rem imp case just to look how full the case is with the intended load.... Oh boy Chuck??? Why did you do this to me??? LOL
Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Supporting Member

Chuck I'm questioning why the 1:9 twist will not shoot the 30's very well. Seems that should be the right twist could it be the crown or something else?

Michael
Old 03-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Supporting Member

Default Crown

MIchael, it doesn't look as if the crown is the problem, at least through a jewelers loupe you can't see anything. Most crown problems I've had you could see with the naked eye. I bought the rifle to primarily shoot 30's, I already have rifles that shoot 25's, I was looking for something with the case capacity of the 17rem and a 1-9 twist. Didn't want to re-invent the wheel, have already got 17-222 dies so it's been a tussle between the 17rem and 17-222. Most all of my factory 17Rems have been average performers at best with the factory barrel, hence they don't stay in factory trim for long. This one shoots about 5" groups with factory fodder, 3-4" with 25gr handloads, back out to 5" with 30's . It's one of the limited runs of 17Rem VS's and frankly I told myself if it didn't shoot I'd rebarrel it since I bought it right. It fouls pretty quick 20-25rnds but most factory 17's aren't much better. I've got a Brad Stairs built Custom with a Pacnor barrel but it's a 1-10 and just doesn't quite have enough twist to shoot the 30's well. When Kevin built Gary his 17-222 with a 1-9 and Gary mentioned shooting 30's first thing that came to mind was "guinea pig". My fellow Saubierite was gonna do all the heavy lifting and I would swoop in and harvest the return, he was even using the same gunsmith I was. I didn't count on Gary getting distracted so easily . So now I'm back where I started, Garys shooting 25's and I've got a clueless look going on.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:07 PM

Default I use N-133 in mine

for 20s. N-135 for 25s. Win brass, 205M primers.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member

Chuck, sorry to let ya down.... I will be working with the 30s in the next month or so and report back but ya might not be able to wait that long. I guess that I like to work up a load when there is no pressure but with 6 kids involved with so much a busy job and a wife that is not into guns at all it is getting harder and harder for me to go sit down relax and work up some loads...

Home sick today with a sick kid as well, maybe I can at least get a starting load picked out later today and maybe work it in this weekend????

I do believe Kevin G has had good luck with his 17-222 and the 30 gr bullets using Benchmark but I'm just running off the top of my head and that many not be correct.

Maybe he can help you make a decision.... If I remember right Todd K was thinking that the 17 Mach IV could shoot the 30s to equal performance of a 220 Swift??? I like to do more with less sometimes and that is not always good... Hornady seems to have done it though with the new 30 T/C and I'd like to know more about that to be able to use that kind of stuff in small calibers!

And Oh yeah I do get side tracked easily. This darn Marlin 17 HM2 got my attention real fast now, and I was not even looking for one nor did I even know they excited until I saw the one I bought???