Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Default New 22 Hornet

I just got a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet. What is a good load to start with (bullet and powder)??? Thanks Jacky
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM

A 40VMAX is one of my favorites, but don't overlook the less expensive Hornet-specific SP's made by Hornady or Sierra in 40 or 45 gr weights.. Many powders work well in a Hornet, W296, H4227, AA1680, 2400 and Lil'Gun - for a few. Remington brass is a little thinner than Winchester, so it holds a bit more powder, maybe a half grain or so. After fire forming to your chamber, only neck size the brass, about 3/4 of the length of the neck. That will help accuracy and give longer case life. I just picked up a used CZ Hornet two weeks ago, can't wait to try it. The above is based on my experience with the 3 other Hornets I feed. The Hornet is a very small case, 10 - 12 gr of powder tyically, so work up your loads carefully.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 PM

In all my Hornets over the years, I've had the best accuracy and velocity using AA1680. I'm down to just two now, a 22 K-Hornet, and a 17 Ackley Hornet, and both of them thrive on the stuff.

I've got a boatload of the old Nosler 45 gr .224" Hornet bullets, and they have given me the best accuracy out of the KH. The Sierra Hornet-specific 40's and 45's have also done very well. Any of the 40gr poly-tipped bullets should be tried, especially in a 12 twist Hornet.

I should add that I've had the best results in all my various Hornets by using Rem 6-1/2 rifle primers. Seems the small case prefers them, at least in the rifles I've tried them in.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 03-19-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Primer info
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 AM

I like the 35gr Vmax with Viht N110. H110, Lil'gun or Win 296 also possibillities.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Supporting Member

Default My 2 cents....

Lil’Gun is probably the speed champion buy a good margin, however it can be very temperature sensitive. So loads worked up in winter could be overloads and or dangerous in the summer.

If you are finding it difficult to get good accuracy or your SD’s are all over the place try a good neck crimp on the bullet, some rifles seem to love a good crimp in order to shoot. My Anschutz went from a very good shooter to a “better not tell anyone about this guns accuracy because they will think I’m just bragging anyways” shooter, using Lil’Gun, 35gr VMax, pistol primer and a good neck crimp. My Cooper 22K-Hornet could care less about a crimped bullet, Go Figure!

Larry
Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 AM

I have a CZ 527 LUX and it shoots great with Lil Gun.

The shorter bullets made for the Hornet (35 Grain VMAX, 45 Grain Hornady Hornet, 40 Grain Sierra Hornet, 45 Grain Sierra Hornet) feed from the magazine when loaded to the recommended OAL.

The 40 Grain VMAX or Nosler BT's are a bit long to load in the CZ magazine unless you seat them very deeply which will raise the pressure. You could feed them by hand or get a single shot follower though.

It is a bit spendy, but I like the 45 Grain Hornady Hornet. Seated out to the 1.75 OAL recommended by the Hodgdon load data it feeds fine from the mag and has a high BC for a Hornet bullet.

-Bill
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM

I've been getting great results out of my Cooper with a 37 gr. Calhoon over Lil' Gun.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Another vote for Lil' Gun. My 527 Hornet absolutely loves it under the Hornady 40 gr. Vmax. I'm currently using 13.0 grs of Lil' Gun for an average velocity of 2,985 fps. I've modified my magazine to feed them with the bullet seated out long. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp die to increase the pull on the bullet. I have been very pleased with this combination.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 AM

Default lil gun

Another vote for Lil Gun. I'm using 11.2gn in Win brass with Win Small Pistol primers/40gn hp Sierra for about 3,100ft/sec and about 3/4" for 5 at 100m. Using a Martini with 22rf barrel. This is a lowish pressure load: cases can be reloaded over 20 times (neck size only).
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 AM

Had the Hornet out on Sunday just to check it out. 1/2 MOA. Load is 12.5 gr. Lil' Gun, WSR, 37 gr. Calhoon, W-W brass. Very Happy!