Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Default I am probably a dollar short, but...

Just read this morning where Norma is coming out with some new/loaded ammo for our 17HMR's and 22Mag's. That should boost our choice's for decent ammo and really give the critters fits. Now to find some. Bill K

Adding that some of the info I read Re: this is on Accurate Shooter.

Last edited by Bill K; 02-01-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Norma

.22 mag ammo, that surprises me, but I’m glad.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Wonder if this is something they've tooled up to make themselves or if it is just another re-branded CCI or Winchester product. If I had to guess, I'd say it's unlikely Norma is actually making this stuff themselves and it's made for them by CCI.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM

I see these different brands coming out but aren't they just a relabeled CCI load?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Default I am probably a dollar shot. but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Jake View Post
I see these different brands coming out but aren't they just a relabeled CCI load?
I don't believe Norma will be. Many others yes. Bill K
Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 PM

I hope it's their own manufacture. It seems the Hornady stuff has gone downhill over the last few years.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:27 PM

I have gotten many, many 1/2- 5/8" groups with my Savage 93's with CCI/Hornady ammo. OTHER than a box or 2 to try for some bragging groups, I will keep buying it on sale for under $10 a box. With all the extra taxes in Europe, it will probably be very competitive to the CCI/Hornady price wise.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Default I am probably a dollar short.but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I hope it's their own manufacture. It seems the Hornady stuff has gone downhill over the last few years.
Since I am switching to lead free, due to the upcoming California laws, I have been working with the lead free Hornady and it is very accurate and even more so than any of the other brands out, so far. But I would like to give the norma one's a go, for times when I could shoot lead. Bill K

I will add however that when I want to try and really get tight groups, I measure and sort out and group rounds with a rim thickness gauge. Does make a difference and it not hard to do, in some spare time.

Last edited by Bill K; 02-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Unfortunately, 17 HMR ammo can be allllllllll over the map with how it shoots from one lot # to another. I've had some of it that shot extremely well and some of it that shot realllllly bad.

Having chronographed a fair amount of 17 HMR ammo I can tell you first hand, this stuff, often, has some pretty significant velocity spreads. It's not uncommon to chronograph 17 HMR ammo from the same box that had 100-150+ fps extreme spreads and a good box will have 50-75 fps ES.

I've even gone so far as to take many loaded rounds apart to try and figure out what is causing these huge swings in velocity. Much to my surprise, the amount of powder is almost always spot on from one to the next and the bullets were the same. The one area that seems to lack consistency is in how much priming compound each case had in it because there is often a fairly significant difference in the amount of priming compound from one to the next.

Also, this stuff has an enormous amount of neck tension on the bullet, whether that be from how much crimp they put on them or what, but pulling the bullets from 17 HMR as well as 17 WSM loaded ammo is very difficult because of how much grip they have on the bullets. Personally, I think this is where we are getting the most variance from and causes accuracy issues. I know from loading for my little 17 Hornet, those tiny little bullets react very easily to different neck tensions.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:28 PM

The overly tight crimp is so the 5.4gr. LilGun (used to be) would ignite and burn more evenly, I suspect.
Years ago, the WW brand with 17gr. Vmax, the rim thickness and thus headspace really screwed groups in my Martini. I could tell when chambering a round, if it would be in the group on the crosshairs or somewhere inbetween or in the really tight headspace group 1/2" to the left. This was at 50 meters. The Marlin was very much less picky, but did not have the accuracy edge that Martini possessed.
I have pretty much switched to the WW 20gr. HP as they are giving me better all-round accuracy than the 17Vmax of any branding - some shoot the same, but most group differently.
It seems now that the days of making 5-shot groups of 1" at 200 yards are gone by the board.