Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default Got my 2012 CZ Catalog yesterday...

So...I got my 2012 CZ catalog yesterday. The first thing I did is look at the 527's for...you guessed it...for a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Dang...no CZ 527 in 17 Hornet.

That said, the catalog was probably printed 2 months ago...before Hornady announced the 17 Hornet release. So, I'm hoping...I think our last hope in the near future...that maybe they may announce something at the Shot Show in January which means it would be mum until then. I hate to say it but I'm really doubting we see this offering from CZ for at least 2-3 years...at best. That is JMHO.

One of the reasons I say 2-3 years, is I dealt with this with CZ-USA before when trying to get them to legitimize an offering in 20 VarTarg (.20 Fireball). That is to say, as I understand it, that its really nice that this cartridge (17 HH) is SAAMI approved, but in Europe it has to be first or at least additionally be C.I.P. approved. The .20 VarTarg was not C.I.P. approved and probably will not be anytime soon; the C.I.P. approval cost money. On that note, it's doubtful that the 17 Hornet is C.I.P. approved yet either even though it has greater odds of gaining it than the VarTarg.

Now since the .17 Hornet is more legitimized, other makers will likely jump on the bandwagon to manufacture rifles etc...eventually. If CZ is to stay true to their MO though, they will likely wait for others to do this initial work up. Don't get me wrong, I love CZ firearms and appreciate all they do for us small caliber guys...but it just seems to be the way they (CZ-UB) works.

Now CZ-USA's "Custom Shop" is more than willing to do one up for you by utilizing and re-chambering existing barrels...at normal custom rates and it will have a factory warranty. However, nothing OEM out of the CZ-UB factory and not in mass...not yet anyway.

Anyway, I will wait to see what happens with Shot Show, but if CZ doesn't announce anything, I am going to push forward anyway...one way or the other...sooner than later. (As soon as specs & reamers are available in the 17 HH.)

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Tou - Thanks for posting....alot of intuitive info there for those of us pineing away for a CZ 17H.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

Thx Rick...lets just hope I am wrong. I would love to be...

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I have a gut feeling that the 17Hornet may 'fail' due to lack of interest from manufacturers. If Ruger remains quiet following the SHOT show, I'd say it will stay very much in the sidelines. Kind of surprised Ruger hasn't stated anything to date, but possibly Hornady went to Savage or vice-versa on this deal ... and Savage will get the headstart before its released into other makers stables?

But yes ... I have no interest until CZ moves to chamber it.
Cheers...
Con