Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Default Anyone made a muffler for a 17 Rem?

Has anyone made a muffler for a 17 Rem?

I will make one for myself and is inclined to use traditional cones for the first 4-5 baffels and then 2-3 K-baffles.
What say ye?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Unless you've got a Form 4 done (I think its form 4), I wouldn't be posting something like that on the open internet. Even if I had an BATF ticket/form, I still wouldn't.

Just me though...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Board Sponsor

I would not worry about the general discussion including plans, drawings, and various calculations. It is perfectly legal to do so, so much so that there are several forums dedicated to the making of them. I would think you will get better info from those simply due to the fact that so many that do make them congregate there.

Indeed, you need to have your paperwork back and in hand before you begin to make any of it, however so long as your State does not have any restrictions on them, then if you can pass the background check to buy a handgun you can pass the background to buy a suppressor or build one.

My own opinion is that it likely will not matter too much on the baffle design either way or a mix, although for simplicity sake I think a I would pick one or the other and just stick with it since it will be replication from there on out. With the limited amount of gas from the popular .17 cals you just don't have a whole lot to re-direct. I can say that the suppressors that work well with the .22LR also work well with the .17HM2 and .17MKII so you may be ahead to just buy one of the units for the .223. That being said, if you want to build one go for it, no reason not to, the 200.00 tax stamp is the same either way, but IIRC you only have 1 year to complete the unit.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Supporting Member

I think Mr. Chickenthief is from a place where they recognize that suppressors are not evil, you don't need .gov permission, and they actually have redeeming qualities, like preventing the ringing in my ears I have right now...

Eric
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Yeah, sorry guys i just updated my profile to show that i'm from Denmark.

The ban on silencers came to (in Denmark) at the same time the US of A declared war on hemp grovers between the great wars.
Read your constitution and you will learn that until recently is was mandatory for a farmer to grow hemp on x% of his land, That to support the fabrication of sacks, paper, sails and rope.

http://www.farmcollector.com/farm-li...ic-fibers.aspx

You know why?
Because hemp can be grown on soil so poor only cotton could be grown and that to a higher profit. So the highly influensial cotton "barons" squeesed hemp out in congress. With steam and all that it was a moot point "lacking" hemp for sails and rope on ships.

But we have got them back and at no fees :-)
It's as easy as standing in line for 2-3 min and then your permit is ok.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Supporting Member

Well, being from another country...that's a whole different story then.

I think an expansion chamber (and length of it) is more important than the type of baffles you have up front. I figure a roughly 1.5-2" expansion chamber with 4-5 .75" length K baffles, .900" 'ish in diameter would probably work great.

Silencertalk.com has reams of data and discussions on baffle types and designs...really interesting stuff.

Do you have a lathe? A 60º counter sink in the appropriate size would make quick work of generating the internal cut of a K baffle. A half circle form tool for the face of the baffle. I'd think only the first one or two baffle would need to be of steel; could probably make the other two or three from Aluminum since erosion would be less...

Again...just thinking out loud here....

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM

[quote=reed1911;200749]I would not worry about the general discussion including plans, drawings, and various calculations. It is perfectly legal to do so, QUOTE]

Yes and No. ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) restricts the export from the US any item that may have a military purpose. This is why you can't ship rifles, a barrel, stock, or even reloading dies without an exporter that is registered with the Secretary of State. This includes technical data and designs. No I wouldn't worry about a few commonly known baffle designs but if you do a quick search of ITAR you will see it is illegal. I am sure I am doing many illegal activities right now just like exhaling carbon dioxide with each breath I take, just don't tell the government Oh that's right the NSA just recorded all of this. Man I'm in trouble now.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
I would not worry about the general discussion including plans, drawings, and various calculations. It is perfectly legal to do so,
Yes and No. ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) restricts the export from the US any item that may have a military purpose. This is why you can't ship rifles, a barrel, stock, or even reloading dies without an exporter that is registered with the Secretary of State. This includes technical data and designs. No I wouldn't worry about a few commonly known baffle designs but if you do a quick search of ITAR you will see it is illegal. I am sure I am doing many illegal activities right now just like exhaling carbon dioxide with each breath I take, just don't tell the government Oh that's right the NSA just recorded all of this. Man I'm in trouble now.
LOL! Speak into the microphone more clearly please...