Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
In 2001 I was walking through the Shilen plant in Ennis talking with Doug Shilen. He had worked on a DGA for me with their 2oz trigger and offered to give me a tour of the plant. We were standing in the "button room" and I asked him about their relationship with Cooper. He said they had sold approx 3-400 barrels over a short period of time with most of them being 22 caliber. They did not offer a 17cal 3 groove then and I don't believe they offer one today. Most sales to Cooper going forward were on a custom order basis by customer request and even those could be filled faster by companies that stock Shilen barrels which Cooper sometimes chose to do.

I had a M22 VE in 22-250, made in 1995 and in a discussion with Dan Pickett he said it probably came with a Shilen.
You are right. Shilen doesn't make, or hasn't made a 3 groove barrel in .17. Wilson .17 barrels were/are 8 groove, so the most probable answer to my question is Lilja.

On a side note, I checked all of my Cooper's, and a bunch more this weekend, and they all had 6 groove barrels.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM

Default Cooper Barrels IDs

Ok , so I called Cooper today and talked to one of the Gunsmiths ( Andrew ) . He said that one of the former Gunsmiths did actually ID the Manufacturer on a few Barrels . This was in the Mid 90s . You would have to remove the Barrel from the Receiver to find his ID . I did not pursue that line of questioning any further as to what Code he used , etc. But if anyone has a Mid 90s Barrel around , you can take a look-see . Just out of curiosity , I asked when Cooper Sold their first Rifle and was told about 1991 . Interesting also that he requested all the Barrel Info. I had received on their old Barrels from Dan Pickett . Sure wish I had Dans memory !

Last edited by xring; 01-23-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 AM

Some of the first Cooper's used Wiseman barrels .

Hal
Old 01-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Some of the first Cooper's used Wiseman barrels .

Hal
Hal is correct. Older 1991 Cooper Arms catalog for Model 36 & 38 rimfire and 22CCM show Wiseman/McMillan hand-lapped chrome molly barrels. A 1993 sheet shows Shilen Select Match for 22LR.

Clearly, they've used a variety of manufacturers over the years.