Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Like JLDakota my best accurcu was with 25gn projectiles, but they were the old Remingtin 25 gn hollow point which I don't think are made any more. I am down to my last 400 which will probably see out the barrel anyway.
Pete
Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default My first 17 was a 17 Rem Cooper VE21

It shot 24 and 30 gr. Bergers and Starkes into 1/2" groups. Chan Nagel has Starke's dies and sells really nice bullets.

My 17M4 Coopers shoot the 25 gr Starkes, Bergers and Non-Gold Kindlers into the same size groups, and the 20 gr. VMax pills as well. They will NOT shoot the 25 gr. VMaxes into better than 1" groups.

I suspect the 25 gr. VMaxes might shoot well in my 17Rem at the faster speeds, but have not tried them.

Alex
Old 05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Like others have said - the shortest .17 caliber bullet you can find will give you the best chance of stabilization. Not only your barrel twist but your sea level altitude there in Denmark could be working against you.
My Cooper 17 MKIV (1:10 twist) won’t shoot any poly tipped bullet worth a hoot. Loves the Hornady 20gr HP’s and is so-so with the 20gr Varmageddons. Shows-to-go-ya each rifle has a personality their own.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks to all for the good ansvers.

Just one thing:
Europe is a dump and all the nice homemade bullets you quote i have a chinamans chance in h3II of obtaining!

I can get:
25gr Berger
20 and 25gr Hornady HP and V-MAX
20 and 25gr Nosler Varmageddon

The rest is but a (wet) dream.

I will talk to a man about a rifle tomorrow and then take it from there.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:20 PM

The Tikka folks probably didn't consult the internet folks but don't worry, your gun will be fine. My several .17MIV's have all had 10" twist barrels and 25's are what I shoot in that cartridge. They're very accurate. Also your gun not being accurate with a particular bullet doesn't necessarily mean the twist is wrong.....it can just as likely be your whole combination doesn't like that particular bullet. One very accurate MIV barrel with Hammett 25's, switching to Berger 25's the groups more than doubled in size.....bullets are the same length. It happens with every chambering.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Default .17 Rem.

My 10" twist Lawrence barrel will shoot 25g VMax into 1.5" groups at 300 yds. (sometimes) if the wind's not blowing. It will shoot the 30g Bergers too but not quite as well. If you can get the 25g Hornady HP, that bullet will do a good job on just about everything and is better for larger animals like coyotes that the VMax as it won't "spash" on entrance like the VMax has been known to do. The old Remington 25g HPPL bullets with the "electroplated" jacket were really good too. Dropping that bullet was another of Remington's "great business decisions".
Bob
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM

I think a lot of people confuse a rifle that likes a bullet or doesn't like a bullet with whether or not is will stabilize a bullet. If a bullet is not stable it will go through the target sideways, if it doesn't like it there will be big groups but all round holes. Just because you get bad groups doesn't mean the bullet is not stable.