Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

This is a CZ 452 in .17 Mach2 I picked up new in the box for $360.00ish.
5 shot group at 100 pretty typical 100 yrd group.

Left side buttstock.

Right side with smacked rat!

Keep Fat Cat outta my Kool-Aid, I don't want him looking for em in gun shops too .
Did I show you guys the picture of my .17 Hornet? ("Wink-Wink")

Dean I agree with ya on the Calhoon followers, also the fact that in some ways they are a little course. That said I'd rather slick up the bolt which always comes around, fix the 452 triggers; 3 to a $15.00 kit and have the accuracy nearly always outstanding than buy something a little less course only to work like crazy to try and find accuracy and hope it comes around.

Just kidding, everyone get's to like what they like and not like what they don't, no argument here!
Fat Cat you ole sly bones, you knew you'd get a rise oughtta the "Kool-Aid Boys remark didn't ya? Didn't ya? Come on now fess up LOL.

Last edited by montdoug; 10-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Supporting Member

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-does-it-work/

As for CZ rifles, Ive tried a few in the past and I am still waiting to get one like you read so much about.........

The best looking CZ I owned was a 221 FB in a beautiful piece of wood. The only problem was the action was inletted crooked in the stock and the barrel hit extremely hard on the left side but was "fully floated" on the right side. It made for some great pictures, but that's where the beauty ended.

I hope it found a good home........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Banned

Default cz

Doug, that is a beautiful rifle! And the Czs are nice rifles.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default CZ bolt travel?...

The bolt in my CZ527 falls downhill depending on wether you point the muzzle up or down. Amazing what over 7,000 rounds will do to slick up a bolt.
JB the contact points, make sure unloaded, and work the bolt while watching the TV maybe.
Put a single shot block in the gun, and toss the factory magazine back in the box.
Again, I wish Calhoun would make a run of his single shot blocks in BLACK DELRIN!

Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Doug, that is a beautiful rifle! And the Czs are nice rifles.
Dang! Ya been into my Kool-Aid and yer already starting to like em .
Like I said Cat, everyone likes what they like, I have a number of CZ's but I dang sure have a lotta other stuff too. Actually I'm an equal opportunity gun lover, I love all of em .
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Supporting Member

Default CZ's are boring

I have not been lucky to win the wood lottery, like some (Doug!) but my recent CZ rifle purchases have been unfailingly accurate. Rifles in 17 HH, 17 HMR, 204 Ruger, and Plain old mundane 223 have been remarkably accurate. Adjust the set trigger or install the $ 15 Brooks kit and you have a 1/2 inch or so gopher whacker. Are they perfect, no! Are they great value , yeah.
I am currently trying to make a Ruger No 3 Hornet shoot with 40 vmax as a challenge.
If I wanted one to shoot I would buy a CZ
Larry
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

I'll admit that I too am a CZ addict.

527 204R and 22H
453 17 HMR and 22LR
452 17 HM2 (2x) and 22LR
And a couple of BRNOs too

For the money, the fit, finish and accuracy have always been outstanding.

With that said, I understand the concept with the rubber washer but I'm not sure how that could be a good thing when fireforming.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post

the action was inletted crooked in the stock and the barrel hit extremely hard on the left side but was "fully floated" on the right

-BCB
Something that you just see more often than not??? I have yet to see one single CZ hit on the right side.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM

My CZ collection:
452 American .22
452 varmint .22 Mag
452 varmint .17 hmr
527 varmint kevlar .223
527 American .22 Hornet
527 American .221 Fireball
527American .222
527 American .17 Hornet
527 Varmint .17 Hornet
527 varmint .204 Ruger

The first of these was bought back in about 1994 or so, and my thought is that the older rifles had a bit better fit and finish than the more recent ones. The oldest of the lot is the 452 in .22 and the 527 in .22 Hornet, which both display superb fit, finish, bluing and smooth as butter action. All of my 452's are old enough that they came with the old style metal magazine.
The 527 Varmint Kevlar, has the older style varmint profile barrel which had more taper than the current version, making it more of a cross between the current american / Varmint model, and I did carry this rifle in the field (even though it was a bit heavy) for hunting coyotes and Jacks.
The newest of the lot are the Varmint model 527's in .17 Hornet and .204 Ruger, and both had a few minor issues to work out, but nothing I was not able to address with relative ease.
Now I am a pretty fair hobby gunsmith, so perhaps my idea of "relative ease" is skewed, and I suppose that if I were not able to work on these rifles myself, there might be some disappointment at having to address imperfections, but when you look at the overall package, what you get for the money, especially the things that really matter, the things that cannot be "de-bugged" such as the great barrels, great little action, and trigger, well, it just does not make sense to quibble about things which are so easily fixed, things like magazine springs, or slight misfits in the wood and such.
As to forming of brass for the .17 Hornet, I have done boxes of Privi .22 hornet brass into .17 hornet using a forming die I made, and have never used an "o-ring" when fire forming, yet all my cases came out perfectly. I Do not want to write a tutorial on how to fire form, but I am pert fair sure that if you have your shoulder in the right orientation in the chamber, that will pretty much guarantee where your case is going to go upon firing. Perhaps there is something here I am missing, but as long as my brass comes out of the chamber the way its supposed to be, I don't thing I'm going to go putting anything else in there to complicate matters.
One last thing I would like to note however, and that is I am able to construct a rifle from any components money can buy. If I were so inclined to do a 20 Vartarg on a Barnard action with a Krieger barrel and a nice custom stock, I can do it, however with all that you get in the CZ package, and seeing that every one I have ever bought shoots the lights out with my hand loads, and that the little Mauser type action is such a solid platform. guess I'm outing myself as a CZ Fan.
One other issue I would like to mention is that here where I live, we must in some cases use lead free projectiles for hunting. I have set up three of the 527's to shoot lead free, those being the .223 Kevlar, the .204 Ruger, and the .22 hornet. So far I have been able to work up loads for all three that give acceptable accuracy for the field, and are hard hitters. The .22 Hornet is for walking hunting, and the .223 and .204 being varmint models are set up for use off a bipod,bag, or bench. They all are solid performers using either projectile, lead or lead free, so just wanted to note that. Oh, and of course lead free ammo is made for the .17hmr and the .22 mag, I use the CCI ammo for that. Oops, almost forgot, I have the .221 fireball set up specifically to use Barnes 36 gr Varmint grenades, very accurate, and very hard hitting, so I guess that makes four 527's that are set up for both lead and lead free.

Regards, B

Last edited by bridgeport; 10-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Something that you just see more often than not??? I have yet to see one single CZ hit on the right side.
Possibly so, but this one was terrible and not worth trying to get right. If I'd have noticed it in the store it would have stayed there in spite if the nice wood that dazzled my eyes at the time. Now when I look at a CZ it's the first thing I look for. Last summer I bought a plain jane one in 17 Hornet versus one with nicer wood because of the fit.

BTW - Peter Paul Mauser would belch in his grave if he heard or saw an external magazine and removable bolt handled rifle referred to as a Mauser. A controlled round feed action alone does not define a Mauser action.

Que sera..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine