Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Default Bullet damage and flight path

A couple of years ago i saw a great little film about different types of bullet damage and their influense on flight path.
It was an Aussie bloke that took files and wire cutters to some 22LR and filmed the flight path from behind and had some black target backing to show it better. Great slomo shots!

I lost it in a HD crash and my Google MoJo is below par today so for the life of me i cant find it again.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about and can link to the youtube clip?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 PM

I remember somthin like that

Might this be it?

http://youtu.be/C9Dylxy3zJc
Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 PM

You da man.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Some pretty dramatic reactions there.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Supporting Member

It is always interesting watching bullets track into the target. At our monthly BPCR silhouette match last weekend. My wife was on the Javelina at 300M around 9am. Shooting to the north, with the low morning sun, and the shinny base of .410 cal lead slug, I could see every one of her one shots once they came down into the field of view of the spotting scope, track right in. Yes I do venture over to dark side.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Watching those erratic flights reminds me of being in the Army.
Our post has some real short barreled tanks. I can't think of what they were called right now. Maybe later I can and will update it. OR someone here that knows can.

They were about 6" bore, and radio controlled, the guys running things inside the tanks would spin the dials and they'd make spirals on the way to the target. They left a jet like stream behind too. Then blow hell out of things when they hit. I was in the tank when the shooter said: "watch this one" and took it way to the side then back on target. I think the target was preprogrammed so they'd hit but, the operator could control the flight like going around corners, trees or such.

CEV's maybe? I got out in Jan '73 so that's stretching my old age memory a bunch. I was in heavy equipment section not involved with these tanks. They were the only ones on our post and I think might have been only 3 or 6 of them and the barrels stuck out about 2-3 feet. Not sure how long they were total, 3-4 feet down inside and at least a foot thru the hull. Still nothing like the long tubes most had. Don't think I ever looked down the bore, they always had a plug and cover on them so I can't say if they had rifling or not, just assumed they did.

These were the only thing we had in the way of tanks on post, besides the M88 tank retriever. He got it buried in mud one day and after the "wrecker man Capt" ruined three light duty wreckers I got the dozer and had one of my guys carry the cable over to him and sucked him out with the winch without much trouble. I sure caught hell for calling that other company Capt. a xxxxx "wrecker man" though. Re: "disrespect of an officer" "well if he's that damned stupid and not listen ------!"

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-13-2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 12-12-2015, 03:10 PM

More than 25 calibers long and its a cannon.
Between 10 and 25 calibers and its a howizer.
Less than 10 calibers and its a mortar.

Roughly speaking, there are other traits (mortars tend to be smooth bore and so on).

Yeah artillery can do some amazing stuff, i saw a Bofors 40mm cannon that had a chronograf at the barrel end and it programmed the shell to explode after a certain count of revolutions and was accurate to within 1 yard at 1 mile with airbursts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewaCdSW4yc
Old 12-12-2015, 06:54 PM

Nasty piece of equipment.