Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Newbie question(s)?

I hope I did alright because I just ordered a set of VLD type dies in 224 from Richard Corbin. I really wanted to buy Carbide but the expense was to much for me. I heard good things here and there about Richard and thought I would dive in. I am looking at making 75 to 85 grains .224 bullets flat base and BT (rebated). The longest .224 jacket I see in j-4 is 1.060" yet the Berger VLD is around 1.020" Do you think might work?

I also thought about having Richard making me a draw punch (I tihnk that's right) so I could use 6mm and end up with a little thicker jacket. Any thoughts here!

I also heard about Larry Blackmon and probably should have called him. Well maybe I will for the next set in 6mm... I need to poke some $$$ back and get me a no turn 6BR reamer and 3 groove Lilja 30" 1-8" barrel. Then I will worry about swaging dies.

Does anyone have experience with Richards stuff? If so what is your opinion.

I have a lot more questions then I care to type write now and will continue reading on forums to learn as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by btrapr1; 03-13-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 AM

btrapr1
Yes the 1.060 jacket will make 85 grn and even 90 grn bullets with a uld rbbt.
The ring die or draw punches work really good,just time consuming.By useing a 6mm jacket it will result in a slightley heavier walled .224 jacket,trimming MAY be a consideration then.
I have used Richard Corbins offerings and they perform well.
enjoy your purchase
B
Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

ch eck out the major threads at: www.castboolits.gunloads/swaging.
Great pictures, and bunch of info. Much of it with both Corbins tools.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 AM

Don't worry too much about making an exact 85 grain or 87 grain or whatever. Just adjust your lead core weight to fill the jacket properly for the type of bullet you are making.
It is more important to have the ogive filled properly and make a balanced bullet for the jacket length and projectile style than stick exactly to a preconcieved weight that may or may not be best for the jacket length.
If a bullet needs to be an 86 grain to balance well and fit the jacket then make it that weight rather than a 80 or 87 grain.
You are going to have to adjust your powder loads anyway for a new bullet.
If you are selling them then that is a different story and they need to be a certain weight.