Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2016, 04:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default NEW: 2017 CZ's = 527: 6.5 Grendel. Thoughts?

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I would mention it.

CZ-USA 2017-New-Product-Guide

Several new offerings for 2017 but one of the ones that caught my eye personally is that the CZ 527 will be offered in the 6.5 Grendel in 2017. I also personally think this is a match made in small'er caliber heaven although it is rather larger for many things on this forum. (There will be several changes to the 527's in general as well...may get even more converts for those that normally have offended eyes by the magazine well & the 5 shot magazine hanging down etc. )

Several reasons this caliber was developed (minus the auto load aspects) is exactly why it is such a great fit for the CZ 527. Many great factory and reloading options, low recoil, relatively inexpensive to practice, plink, and hunt with. Smaller light rifle platforms with a short throw & fits in the small 527 magazine well.

I definitely think that this would be a great walking around rifle for many hunting applications from varmints to deer....in all 50 states. It would also be great for those smaller framed shooters & yield great results IMHO. (AND...you can also have a nice little auto-loader counterpart to go with it. I will absolutely be in line for the first batch of these & plan on investing in this platform and replacing several other items.

My only disappointment is that it is slated to only be offered in the little 527 in a 24" barreled American. What were they thinking? I think they are missing the boat on a huge opportunity & need to offer it in additional formats. In the least, I think this is the least in demand of their potential formats. Heck, I can't remember how many threads I have read on the Net about folks specifically buying a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 just to convert to a 6.5 Grendel. It will definitely do & I will still buy one...even if I have to cut off about 4" from the barrel...until they come out with exactly what I want.

Which is...a 6.5 Grendel in a 527 Carbine or even a Full Stock with an 18"-20" barrel...AND iron sights. I want a very capable all around walk-about rifle. My personal overall uses for me & mine will likely be <400 yards...likely much less most of the time. Yes, I know it is cable of consistent LONG ranges placement & additionally retained great velocities and energies...I like that too...but that is not all I want it for & paper or metal gongs will not be the chief application.

So...what do you all think of this development of CZ-USA/UB for 2017? What do you think of their initial offering? What would you prefer?

I think, that since they aren't really even produced yet, I may at least express my thoughts to those at CZ-USA this next week. While it may not affect anything this year...it could...and it may eventually if there is enough confirmed demand.

All the best!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 12-17-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to 17rimfire

I want one...I'm happy to see CZ offering some new things for 2017. I really like the 6.5's so this is gonna be great, I'd like to pre order... However I'd like to see the Grendel in the varmint weight barrel but it's nice that they're offering the 24" on the American. I've really grown to love cz's..

Last edited by 17rimfire; 12-17-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 AM

As you know Ken I just had a 6.5 Creedmore built and when deciding on a barrel length my Gunsmith mentioned most folks go with a 24" (long range shooting) I opted for a 26" and he opined that, yes indeed he could always shorten it if I wanted but it wasn't practical to lengthen it.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:38 AM

I think its pretty sweet that they are doing the grendal. I also see a 300 BO on the list. I think that one will sell quite well. I've thought about building one for the kids to shoot. Either one would do quite well for a youth rifle.

Aaron
Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Supporting Member

I personally prefer a longer barrel. Not sure why though, might be that it just balances better for me and I know that I always prefer to have the muzzle blast a little farther away from me.

Although the shorter barrel might be a bettter option to make it a good youth gun?

It sounds about right for me and to be honest I figured my gun buying days was pretty much over but this may prove me wrong. While I'm not that familiar with the round, it has always had me interested in it and I've figured something like this.

Thanks for sharing, first I've seen
Old 12-17-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm pretty excited about it, should make a very nice mountain rifle for 300 yard mule deer.

I think it would be super nice to see it in a "Varmint Kevlar" configuration, but hey, "beggars can't be choosers"
Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member

I did my 260 with a 21" barrel, this thing is light weight and balances well.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 PM

I'm glad CZ finally chambered the Grendel also. I was hoping tikka would jump on the bandwagon too but they haven't yet. I've been following the 6Grinch thread over on accurate shooter and it sounds like they're getting some great results with it. Also that CZ 557 varmint looks real nice but there aren't many reviews on the 557 other than the initial press releases that I've been able to find so far.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default cz

Should be a big seller, glad they are doing it in 24". Easy and cheap to cut them down...my barrel stretcher is on the fritz.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Way cool! I was planning on converting one of my 7.62x39 carbines to a 6.5 Grendel, now I'll shift plans for that action and make it a 35 Gremlin and buy a factory Grendel. Even better, is that I can use the Grendel magazine for my 22 PPC and 6mm AR rifles that don't feed well out of the 7.62x39 magazines. I hope they opt for a 1/8 twist over a 1/9.

The supressor ready 300 BLK and 7.62x39 rifles are tempting. I hope they are built with 18" barrels to keep the OAL length reasonable with a can in place.

John