Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-02-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Just wanted to say hello

Hi everyone,

My name is John and im from Massachusetts, yes, i know i should move!

I like to shoot and reload a last year or two i have got into contenders and encores in pistol form. Mostly large cal but im intetested in trying some small stuff. I have a 22 hornet but im looking to go as small as i can.

Well im going to surf though the site now and will post in the classifieds soon for my micro caliber needs. 😉

Have a great night and thanks for having me here.

John
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 AM

Default Just wanted to say Hello.

First of all, Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it and the characters that hang out here, with info, and advise on how to empty your wallet. Which leads me to suggest, if you want to down size, look very closely to the 20 VT or 20 SCC, for general shooting, varmints and just plain fun. Bill K
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 AM

Welcome aboard.

Aaron
Old 12-03-2017, 01:37 AM

Welcome aboard! Hang on tight to your wallet. LOL

I wonder if it will be sooner or later when you folks on the east coast will not be able to shoot or reload at all. Seems like it's just a matter of time now. If it gets bad enough, there's room for you in the famous frozen tundra of Wisconsin, and probably lots of other places more friendly to shooters.

Best of luck in your quest for small caliber stuff. You've come to the right place.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Welcome aboard! Hang on tight to your wallet. LOL

I wonder if it will be sooner or later when you folks on the east coast will not be able to shoot or reload at all. Seems like it's just a matter of time now. If it gets bad enough, there's room for you in the famous frozen tundra of Wisconsin, and probably lots of other places more friendly to shooters.

Best of luck in your quest for small caliber stuff. You've come to the right place.
Hell Dungheap, Moonbeam, Feinstein, Harris and some other of our states politician are already trying to take away the right to reload, along with our guns, here in Commie Kalifornia. And others are working overtime to spread it into other states, not surprising that the east coast would not be on the list. ( and did you take notice that Gifford and others in the anti-gun movement are now wanting some muzzle loaders on the ban list, as they shoot a lethal .50 caliber bullet, so they say. Total idiots and it shows more every day.)
Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 12-03-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 AM

Welcome aboard John!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:28 AM

Welcome. Great group here. Enjoy and participate.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:43 AM

Thanks all!

The laws do suck here, and id love to move but my wife is not really up for that so i must make the best of it......

To clarify, i dont hunt so i dont need to have those parameters in my search, although some of the calibers are interesting and could be a good choice for the next barrel.

I would like to find the smallest, reloadable, rifled barrel for a conteder/encore pistol. Im putting together one ot the largest and would like to cover both extremes.

I know its probably a useless caliber but as long as i can maybe shoot to 50 yards, ill be fine with it.

Thanks for the welcomes and hope i can contribute to the forums.

John
Old 12-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Hey John....WELCOME!!
On your question...

The smallest reloadable cartridges, and common off the shelf ammo, would be the 17 HH or the 22 Hornet or the 22 TCM....all are close in powder capacity.
In a Contender the, better choices would be the rimmed Hornet cases. But, the 22 TCM would work too.

If as your say, you want the "other extreme", the 17 Hornady Hornet is a fantastic little round and works very well in the TC package.

If off the shelf ammo is not important, a lot of other options open up. Still, small stuff based upon the Hornet cartridge is still a good bet. Dies are just readily available and much less of an investment in the 17HH.

Again, Welcome!

Bill
Old 12-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Off the shelf is not important at all, its size.. lol

I was looking at the 22tcm, looked pretty neat, but ill check out the others you mentioned.

Im kinda looking for something no one around me would have, more just as a novelty round, but one i can reload and shoot on occasion.

I know that what im searching for isnt really practical, but that make it more fun!!!

😎