Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy
Default IMR powders

http://www.imrpowder.com/shotpist.html
Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Supporting Member

Never even heard of these powders. Be interesting to see if anyone has tried them and what the results were.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Default Imr

Are these the new Obama powders with the 3 month shelf life? Availble only in 8 and 20 pound jugs?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 PM

looking at the load data for 4166, i guess I dont see the advantage of it. more powder and slower velocities over varget.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Velocity may not be the final denominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutch30 View Post
looking at the load data for 4166, i guess I dont see the advantage of it. more powder and slower velocities over varget.
Perhaps a little short sighted. Velocity is not necessarily the final denominator.

A little like saying there is no advantage to coating bullets with HBN or Moly IMHO. Personally I am not a fan of moly though HBN has my attention despite the fact a load will require more powder to achieve the pressures/velocities of naked bullets.

The potential advantage of 4166 in my view might be reduced copper fouling on long shooting sessions. Improved accuracy due to reduced fouling may be seen as an advantage. Perhaps we may experience little or no difference in POI from clean bore to 10 shots later due to reduced fouling.
If you are already coating your bullets w HBN for example then this propellant may offer little in terms of reduced copper fouling.
If temp insensitivity proves to be significant with this / these propellants may find a significant nitch over cfe223 for instance in the market IMHO.
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

Last edited by SDguy605; 10-30-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: gramer
Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Default IMR Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutch30 View Post
Slow and accurate, is always better than Fast and inaccurate. Bill K
Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
Are these the new Obama powders with the 3 month shelf life? Availble only in 8 and 20 pound jugs?
Now that's harsh, funnier'n heck but harsh LOL!

To the original question, no I've never heard of em which isn't surprising since I subscribe to no magazines and only play with the stuff I have that works very well just like it has for a long time. Ever since I've been shooting the manufacturers have been constantly coming out with new products to trap the weak willed and impulse challenged much like myself . Some of it has actually worked and when I look at what we have now for components compared to 45 years ago it is truly an amazing and wonderful deal!
All that said I've finally turned into an old fud that has reached a point of diminishing returns in new "stuff" investment so I just keep doing what has worked so well the last number of years (who'd of ever thought we'd see a time when almost all a guys loads in his varmint rifles are 1/2 inch ish creations ?). That powder certainly looks interesting, especially if it performs "exactly" as advertised but then I'd just spend a bunch more money on new stuff so the old stuff could pile up with all the other older stuff that's already piled in my gun room, not good.
Today when I think about a new powder or component to start anew with and re-develop all my loads and one thing and another my feeble old mind goes numb . I think I'll leave that to the exploration types here on the site and I'll just read about the results. Keep a poor ole soul posted guys ok?

Last edited by montdoug; 10-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 PM

I guess my point was i dont see any reason to switch to a new powder when Im getting great velocity and great accuracy with varget. I dont seem to have an issue with varget metering either. Most of the 17 remmy shooters dont seem to have any problems getting the best of both worlds with varget.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 PM

Default Can't argue with what has been working and working well

Unless we have a manufactured, shortage of the tried and true there may be little reason to experiment with the newer offerings. Or did i mean a manufacturer shortage
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 PM

Most likely they are canister versions of current military powders, MSDS indicates they are General Dynamics (old Dupont plant in Canada) made.

Just like any other industry, the large OEM's (military) are the ones who pay for the R&D and get the newest products first. 4064, 4895, 4320 etc. are almost 100 yrs old.