Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Coyote management in PA

Looks like those Pennsylvania coyotes will soon have a price on their head.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/coyote...m_medium=email
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

I hope it doesn't pass. I'd rather see them spend the money elsewhere. It's been proven over and over bounties don't work.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Good news. Start paying for some of my projects. Or at least that's what I will tell the wife.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
It's been proven over and over bounties don't work.
Not so sure about that............. It led to the complete eradication of Wolves in both Michigan and Wisconsin. I would love to see it reinstated here. Or at least the methods allowed in the 20's and 30's.

Aaron
Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
I hope it doesn't pass. I'd rather see them spend the money elsewhere. It's been proven over and over bounties don't work.
Are you sure about that? There is very little small game here. No rabbits. No pheasants. No grouse. But we have lots of fox, coyotes, owls, and hawks. Back in my grandfathers day, they had a bounty on birds of prey....and he reported better small game hunting. If people shot every hawk owl and coyote they saw it would have no impact? Not so sure.....yes I know they keep rodents in check...blah, blah, blah.......
Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 AM

Default bounty

In the late 70s my buddy and I both had a beagle and would hunt every day we weren't in school hunted with 22s to give the rabbits a chance( I know lucky neither of us was killed) we would each get about 35 rabbits a year probably hit one out of five? A neighbor would take me fox hunting with hounds would end up with 30 40 fox maybe 1 coyote a year head to bar to celebrate getting the yote, were no hawks around in them days. now they wont even run a fox track only coyotes kill upwards 30+ and only hunt week ends other groups hunt more and kill closer to 100. very few fox around more yotes every year hawks everywhere! 0 rabbits in old hunting spots FEW squirrels in woods, over run with Fishers only place rabbits and squirrels survive is in town. Could go out every time and in 1 or 2 hrs have my limit of squirrels, few years back adopted a neighbor kid, Dad was busy working, took him out squirrel hunting half a day and we come out with one. Wish I could go back to them days! remember driving around on Sundays trying to shoot crows and pigeons off manure piles, today someone would call the cops with there cell phone
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomb View Post
Are you sure about that? There is very little small game here. No rabbits. No pheasants. No grouse. But we have lots of fox, coyotes, owls, and hawks. Back in my grandfathers day, they had a bounty on birds of prey....and he reported better small game hunting. If people shot every hawk owl and coyote they saw it would have no impact? Not so sure.....yes I know they keep rodents in check...blah, blah, blah.......
Oh I'm not saying don't shoot coyotes. I just don't think we would ever put a dent in them here. I think the money could be spent elsewhere and be more beneficial. I don't want another license increase to pay for it either. Coyote hunting is certainly becoming more popular here in PA...and even more difficult. Everybody has e-callers now and the dogs are getting smarter and even harder to kill.

As for owls and hawks...they probably do more damage to small game than coyotes. Their numbers are definitely at or close to an all time high. But the decline of small game In my book Is a result of lack of cover do to farming practices. Harldy anybody here makes hay..it's all corn, wheat and beans. The fields are bare from October to April. No place to hide.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 AM

I know farmers aren't in business to feed wild game but modern farming practices and herbicides have all but shut down small game hunting in PA. I see more rabbits in my back yard than I do a day of tromping the alfalfa fields.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 AM

I second that thought. I've killed a handful of rabbits in my life. We use to small game hunt everyday after school. Some grouse not many rabbits. My uncle and grandfather tell of stories with dozens of rabbits like it was nothing.
Heck here in upstate we don't have many woodchucks to shoot. Most guys saw a steep drop when coyote populations sky rocketed
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Definite drop in small game numbers from my childhood. The woodchuck decline has been a real bummer. One if the few things to do in the late spring and summer with your rifles. Used to enjoy a good walk with the 17AH and the possibility of several shot opportunities. Lucky to get a shot these days. Woodchuck numbers have taken a pretty good beating in my stomping grounds of NY and PA.