Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 AM

Default 17 HK Finished

Got my Pierce/Lilja 17HK up and running. Reamer from Manson, specifically to fit my LEJ brass, 4.6x30 case necked to 17 like the VHA but this I put a 35 deg shoulder on it......My buddy in TX did the chambering, came home and decided to try a RAS brake/tuner, Mike from EGA Gunworks here in Iowa did the work, very nicely done too.

This is a fairly time consuming process, a simple neck down, but then I skim turn the cases and then load them. I got a new carbide mandrel that doesn't match up well it seems with my expending mandrel. Tight fit, taking more time per case than I like.

I get these primed and staked from the supplier, the staked cases solve the primer leakage issue that can occur with this smaller diameter case head. Once fired, I slightly swage them , removing the swage rim just enough to be able to reprime. Leaves some extra brass in the area and further hardens the case head, IMO. So I'm dealing with a primer that is not my normal Fed 205 that I like, essentially requiring two different loads to be developed. Finding a decent load to shoot PD's while fire-forming the cases now, and later retest with the Fed 205 primers.

To help with this micro case, I decided to put the brake/tuner on so I can tune the rifle to the load( only so much case capacity..want to optimize my velocity and then change tuner settings to bring the group together..) instead of the normal route of tuning the load to the rifle.

Plus, the brake helps tame the violent recoil of 10grs of powder all going off at once! It actually does reduce muzzle jump noticeably, very little recoil, but as with any round some muzzle jump is apparent.

17 HK at the bench.
[/quote]
Old 09-27-2015, 12:11 AM

Is this T/B RAS the cool or what!? Made by Eric Bostrom in FL. I've been wanting to try one for some time.

http://www.bostromgunsmithing.com

The 4.6x30 case and it's fire-formed result.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 AM

9.2 grs of 300MP slings the 20cal bullet right along...

Shot some 1680 also, which is comparatively slower than 300MP, but seems to give good accuracy.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 AM

I settled on 9.9grs of 1680, 3400ish fps, adjusted the tuner some, got pretty decent groups, considering these are fire-forming..

If I had more time ( like half the retired guys on this forum..) I would have tried 10.3 grs and then shot 40 rds while adjusting the tuner. 9.9 does a good job forming the shoulder and will keep me from blanking any of these primers, IMO. I think I will call it good for now and load some up for critters.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:24 AM

The 17HK has been tested and bloodied and emerged victorious on the open prairie!!

The fire-formed case next to the loaded original. The motivation behind the 35 deg shoulder of the HK, ( not that it's needed for accuracy, the 17VHA shoots like a dream already..) is that I can belay using a FL die for at least 5 firings. One pass through the Lee Collet NS die, decaps and sizes, no lube required, prime and load. A HUGE time saver for a high volume, colony varmint setup.

Peirce makes a very nice action. A quality action and a Lilja barrel go together like biscuits and gravy.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:26 AM

The 17HK in it's natural habitat...

Old 09-27-2015, 12:27 AM

Old 09-27-2015, 12:30 AM

The amount of performance attained by less than 10 grs of powder never ceases to amaze me.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:42 AM

The more I used this rifle the more I liked it. Low report, the PD's tolerate it much more than the bigger cases...no recoil, get to see all the action, even at 20X under 200yds, kept to 250yd and under, it does very well, even in light to moderate wind.

Can't have moderators in IA yet, so these little cases are the next best thing in noise abatement. Some builds don't turn out like a guy thinks, thankfully this one met all of my expectations and then some.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 AM

Very good write up on your new rifle, I really liked your pictures too.

That is one good looking setup and is working very well for you on those PD's.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan