Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM

Default CCI Primers.

Anybody experienced missfires when using CCI primers?
Thanks,Ken.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Administrator

The only time I had issues with mis-fires it was related to a weak firing pin spring, not the primers. Changed the spring out and issue was resolved.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:03 PM

I personally have not. I mostly use CCI's 500's, 400's, 450's, 350's, 250's and br2's about the only other primer I use is fgmm 210m and wolf SRM.

are you experiencing light strikes possibly? I've heard federal primers are a little softer if that's what's going on.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM

I mostly use CCI SRP and never had an issue
Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Couple of things to check before you blame the primers but you've been around long enough so you'll figure it out.
Short head space. (not a barrel/chamber problem) Case shoulder got pushed back just a little too far. Firing pin hits the primer and pushed the case forward in the chamber. (soft strike)
Cure that by making that round OAL a little longer. Stuff the bullet into the lands and when it goes BANG, the shoulder gets blown forward. Then, make sure you don't push the shoulder back too far "again".
Figured that out by being in the same position a few times.
Double check that you've got the primers seated all the way. Been there, done that too.
I've probably fired "at least" 5000+ CCI primers and never had problems. Only problem I had was with an oil soaked primer. Sizzle and no bang. If you can, pop the primer out and do the "hammer" thing. Smack it and if it goes BANG, look somewhere else. I only use CCI primers. Gas guns to bolt guns. No issues. BR primers in all my bolt guns, Mil Spec primers in my M1A ,AR and Mini 14.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 04-26-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

I would guess light strikes also, but why may take a little investigating. You are an experienced shooter & can probably figure that out. The only problem I have ever had with CCI was when I 1st started shooting BR years ago. I was using BR4 in my 6BR bench gun & occaisionally would get a FTF, especially on cold mornings. Struggled through a match in the springtime with that problem. After I got back home I stripped the rifle down and found that the trigger hanger had been installed backwards. On one end the hanger had a little notch cut out to allow good cocking piece sear clearance, but not the other end. You could see where the sear was dragging over the edge of the hanger. Reversed the hanger & no more problems.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:57 PM

kenbro, Anything can happen, but unlikely a bad primer as others have stated. I did have an actual FTF last week out in the squirrel fields. I was fire forming some 20 JI rds when I got the failure. The fire forming rd. was set-up like Nor Cal Mikie describes. The case shoulder and bullet seating depth were set tight in the chamber. Fired 550 rds with no problems except for this one. What a mess when I tried to get the rd out of the chamber. Bullet stuck in the lands and filled the action with powder. I couldn't get it cleaned out. Had to put the rifle away until I could get to a air compressor. The "other side of the issue" is not setting the fire forming rd up correctly when substantially moving the shoulder. Two weeks ago a long time friend (who can be a little stubborn at times) was fire forming 22-243 30* loads. I had helped him set-up the fire forming rds (by phone), and he'd had no problems until for some reason he decided to push the shoulders down further and not seat the bullet into the lands. He started to have misfires due to light firing pin strikes (by the case moving forward). He got convinced it was bad primers and changed to magnum primers (and probably more powder). The long and short of it was he got to spend the afternoon at the eye surgeon taking three pieces of primer/brass out of his eye. Luckily he didn't lose his sight. One piece was buried deeply. I was stunned when I found out he was shooting these loads without shooting glasses! Just brings home how important it is to keep safety first in our wildcatting. 410gauge
Old 04-26-2018, 03:17 PM

Hi,
These cases are .223 (25-45) so Small primers.
Last week i started into a 500 pack of CCI450s and had around 30% FTF.
Yesterday i started from square one and formed 25 cases to a hard ish crush fit in the chamber and loaded them.
Today, 10 of the 25 FTF.
Back home i pulled the bullets and took the powder out.
3 of the 10 primed cases then fired, the other 7 FTF even after 12 attempts at each.
Deprimed them and putnew primers in and 6 of the 7 fired first try, the 7th FTF.
The indentations in the cases that were struck 12 times are deeper than some of the ones that actually fired with bullets in.
My thoughts are, I’ve got a suspect batch of primers, but, until i get a different brand to check, I won’t know for sure.
Thanks for replies,Ken.
PS. I did take the firing pin assembly and ejector out of the bolt (Didn’t disassemble the firing pin/spring) when i formed the false shoulder, so i know there’s no problem in there.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Two things about CCI primers are they are known for having the hardest cups among primers and they are larger in diameter then others.

This results in two things that can happen when using CCI primers. Because the cups are harder than others a firearm with less than optimal ignition can have problems setting them off. I shoot competition handgun and it is a common thing for people to have issues with CCI's when using them in striker fired handguns (Glocks) that have had the trigger/ignition systems lightened for competition use. Also in competition revolvers with lightened double action triggers they do not fire off also. Common knowledge is that Federal primers have the softest cups and are easier to ignite. In my competition 8 shot revolver I can only use Federal SP's with my 6 pound Double action pull. I know we are probably talking rifles here (as you are in the UK) but the same things can apply to rifles.

The second thing about CCI primers is they are larger in diameter than others so if you have tight primer pockets then they may be so hard to seat that they are not getting seated fully which means the anvil has not been set and a strike from a firing pin will not set the primer off. Typically the first strike will seat it fully and set the anvil so a second strike will set it off when primers are not seated fully. One positive side of CCI primers being larger is if you have a lot of brass with loose primer pockets, you can get more life out of them using the CCI primers as they seat better and hold in a "loose" pocket.

Neal in AZ
Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ken:

That's all I use. The only time I've had a dud is when
using some from Mac's stash from back in the '50's. Those are
various brands. So old many are in the wood trays. Don't know if
any are CCI even.

Even then, it's rare to have a dud. Knowing they're so old I only use them
for plinkers. Am sure I've fired over 100,000 easy enough and
have +- 30,000 loaded plus a big supply of caps on the shelf yet.

Do you know the age and storage history of those?
Any chance they could have gotten wet?

IF you bought from a supplier, take 'em back and exchange for
fresh.

You might contact CCI with the batch number and find out if they've
had a problem.

Let's hear the solution ok?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"