Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Supporting Member

Default AR bolt failure

Anyone had a bolt fail or worked on one? Wondering as to cause and whether a maintained, lubed bcg is likely to experience problems.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Anyone had a bolt fail or worked on one? Wondering as to cause and whether a maintained, lubed bcg is likely to experience problems.
I have not had one fail, yet anyway. But as they a mechanical part, I imagine a failure is too be expected.
In several years of shoot the AR, and in keeping it clean and lubed as directed by manufactures, no issues thus far, here anyway.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 PM

Depends on what you call a failure. Can you describe the failure better? My oldest AR started experiencing failures to extract, and had to replace the extractor and its spring. That fixed the problem. And yes , it was maintained and lubed, but just got tired. It was a cheap fix, less than $10 for parts.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Supporting Member

If its not moving, I'd check the cleanliness of the gas tube and the bolt carrier port. Also look at the seal rings to make sure that they aren't worn, dirty, or maybe even aligned the same. The gap on each ring needs to be staggered from the other two for a good seal.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-26-2020, 04:01 AM

Knew a foolish shooter that tried to make his 223 a 22-250 and managed to sear lugs off his AR bolt during the 600 yard phase of a High Power service rifle match. Couldn't understand why his zero kept on shifting until none were left.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Knew a foolish shooter that tried to make his 223 a 22-250 and managed to sear lugs off his AR bolt during the 600 yard phase of a High Power service rifle match. Couldn't understand why his zero kept on shifting until none were left.
How could you shoot .22-250 in a Service Rifle Match, and be a Service Rifle?

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:26 PM

He very seriously overloaded it too hot, and the bolt failed. Lucky he didn't injury himself.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Supporting Member

Wilson barrels, PSA boron coated bcg with a slickside upper. Probably get a Wilson bolt and save the PSA for a replacement. One .223 Wylde the other 7.62 X 40 WT.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:56 AM

Never had a failure in probably 10k rounds plus in three ARs. I am certain it could happen but haven’t seen it in any of mine or any of my friends who have just as many rounds down the tube.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Wilson barrels, PSA boron coated bcg with a slickside upper. Probably get a Wilson bolt and save the PSA for a replacement. One .223 Wylde the other 7.62 X 40 WT.

Can you please better describe what the "failure" is?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine