Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-02-2022, 11:35 AM

Default Bullet Storge

What are you using to store your boxes of bullets? Not loaded ammo, just bullets. I seem to have them stored a few places in my reloading area. Would like to store in a central location, be able to store so I can see the boxes and know what my inventory is.

Someone must have a cleaver idea! Thanks for any suggestions or help!

JC
Old 08-02-2022, 01:33 PM

I have a shelf along the back wall of the bench and the bullets are stored in their original box mostly. Some are put into larger plastic or cardboard boxes, that I empty the originals into, making a bulk box for the 17 & 20 cals I shot most often, now days.

They are also arranged from left to right, by smallest caliber to largest and marked as to what cal and weight they are. Works just fine for me.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I have the ones I use/open box on shelf by press and use one of these mounted on the wall for full boxes and stuff I rarely use. Holds 2-300 bullets in each bin fairly securely.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:50 PM

Nothing really all that clever about how I store my stuff but I used to have everything, bullets, primers, powder, cases, loaded ammo, on a couple different open type storage racks. Things were starting to get a little cluttery and sloppy looking and I wasn't particularly thrilled with having it all out in the wide open for all to see, that's more of a personal thing than anything else, so I ordered a jumbo heavy duty 48x78x24 metal storage cabinet with 400lbs per shelf weight rating to store all the above items in. I can't say that it's really changed anything but it is a much cleaner look then before and the shelves seem to stay much more organized compared to when everything was on the storage racks. In fact I liked that storage cabinet so much I now have a second one. Glad I got them when I did because they've gone absolutely crazy in price since I bought them.

Kind of funny Bill mentioned he has his bullets arranged smallest to largest caliber from left to right because not only do I have my bullets arranged the same way but on another shelf I have my powder from fastest to slowest left to right also.

Others probably do this as well but to save shelf space from multiple different boxes and since the 17 and 20 cal bullets are so small I'll take all the boxes with the same Lot # and consolidate them into just a few boxes. Especially with those little 17 cal bullets, you can put hundreds of bullets in one box and consolidate it down to only a few boxes on the shelf versus 20+. A new box of 100 17 cal 20gr bullets is kind of like a opening a new bag of potato chips, there isn't much in there and it's just a lot of air taking up space.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:12 PM

I built a six inch deep shelving unit out of 3/4 Radiata that Home Depot sells as cabinet grade plywood. It isn’t cabinet grade, but makes great garage and workshop shelving. I used pocket screws on the joints and backed it with 1/4 HDF and put 4 - 3/4 reinforcements to hang it.

Bullets are stored in original boxes, by diameter and weight from left to right. Cast bullets are stored in Zip Loc bags in buckets until sized and lubed, then the boxes that hold about fifty sheets of high end 8 1/2x11 paper. They are then stacked on a similar, but deeper shelving unit.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:24 AM

I have a battery of file cabinets. Roller drawers and will hold all sorts of heavy items. The old card file cabinets work great for storing bullets and will handle the weight very well.
I have one four drawer that is nothing but dies. I should be embarrassed at the number, over 200 sets and very few duplicate cartridges. The bad thing is I own or have owned something chambered in all of them but one, a 450 Ackley and have no idea where or how I acquired them. 17 caliber to 50, cast and jacketed.
I won’t even mention cast bullet molds and how much alloy.
I should probably seek professional help.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ah shucks guys.

Those without many worry about how to store them.

I keep them in 2 gallon buckets on the floor.

Some 3/4 full, others almost level full.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 AM

Drawer 1: .17 - .22 cal
Drawer 2: 6mm - .30 cal
Pistol: Footlocker or ammo can... Pistol bullets get the cheap seats.

Anything that is bulk quantities gets a box or two in a drawer and the rest is stored in a footlocker or ammo can for deep storage.

I chuckle whenever I see the guys (obnoxious preppers) during shortage/panic periods showing off their massive stash taking "Bullet Selfies"?! Removing all the bullets out of their factory wrappers and pouring them loose into an ammo can. Why?!

Best protection is their original, sealed packaging.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:55 AM

Cast bullets, I am fortunate to have access to new quart and gallon paint cans. A fat sharpie marker makes short work of labeling. My match bullets are all pre sorted out and placed in 50 round ammo trays labeled with alloy and mold number. They are kept in two of the above mentioned card file drawers, ready to be sized, checked and lubed.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
Drawer 1: .17 - .22 cal

I chuckle whenever I see the guys (obnoxious preppers) during shortage/panic periods showing off their massive stash taking "Bullet Selfies"?! Removing all the bullets out of their factory wrappers and pouring them loose into an ammo can. Why?!

Best protection is their original, sealed packaging.
They are beginning to liquidate once again. I've started getting offers for cases of .556 ball that were not bad, but I don't use the stuff. About ten years ago I was picking up cases of Mini Mag HP and 22LR Bucket O' Bullets really cheap. They started with what they paid for it and come back and take what I said I would give them a few weeks later.