Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2022, 11:26 PM

Default 224 Clark

224 Clark, anyone have experience with this?
No sense in telling me not to fool with it a s I already bought the rifle, dies and ammo and Clark bullets.
I had looked at this particular rifle for over 30 years and the guy would never come off with a price I would pay. It ended up on an auction and I bid and won it.

Barrel life is not a major concern at this point. Buddy and I have talked about a couple of 22TTH builds for years. Now this lets us test drive one.

As always accuracy trumps speed.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:49 PM

Wildcat cartridges Volume II has one or two articles on the Clark. Info and load data. If you can locate a copy, check it out. Pg 153, by Layne Simpson
Old 08-19-2022, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

JSH----now that's an itch I've been wanting to scratch longer than 30 years. Good for you for getting it. I've had an Lilja 8 tw for years. Lonnie almost had me talked into his 22-6mm but the Clark was the carrot on the stick. Are your bullets the original ones he made or had made? What grain are they-80's? Keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
JSH----now that's an itch I've been wanting to scratch longer than 30 years. Good for you for getting it. I've had an Lilja 8 tw for years. Lonnie almost had me talked into his 22-6mm but the Clark was the carrot on the stick. Are your bullets the original ones he made or had made? What grain are they-80's? Keep us posted.

Lonnie Hummel did talk me into a 22-6mm. 50 some odd grains of retumbo and a 30 inch heavy barrel. 80 gr bullets would squirt outta there at 3550 fps.
I settled on a 22-243 Middlestead after toasting the barrel and enjoy shooting 80 amaxs just about 200 fps slower than the 22-6mm... with cosiderably less powder.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:58 AM

Load info in the book I mentioned showed he had 80 & 85 grainers, and loads ran right around 3400-3500 fps range, depending on power used.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

Handloader or Rifle had an article, probably by Simpson, a few years ago. Newer powders and bullets.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/w...-cartridges-31

Last edited by barretcreek; 08-20-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:12 PM

Yes the bullets are the original Clark made bullets. Lots of cool factor, almost as good as the envelope I have with samples of Speer bullets with Vernon Speers note and signature.

Have not checked but I think this is just a 1-9” twist, which was fast for the time period.

I have read about all of the above mentioned articles and titles at some point or another.

Things have come a long way since the Clark and other over bore cartridge ideas were done. More powder and bullet options.

I was hoping maybe some modern TTH data was around.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:19 PM

My dad's had a 22-6mm for 25+ years now and its been his "go to" yote gun since he had it built. His is built on a SA Rem 700 with a 9tw Lilja barrel. Only bullet that's ever been through his is Berger 75gr VLD's. For years he used RL25 with those 75's but when RL26 came out and I liked it so much in many of my others I switched his over to RL26. I'd have to look in my notes but if I recall I'm using right at 50gr RL26 with those Berger 75's. I put a Wyatt's 3.0 mag box in it and the way his is throated it uses all of it to touch the lands.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:23 PM

That is good to know. I have good supply of R26.
I have to do some measuring and see what this chamber looks like. Bore was scoped a few years ago and it looked fine.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes the bullets are the original Clark made bullets. Lots of cool factor, almost as good as the envelope I have with samples of Speer bullets with Vernon Speers note and signature.

Have not checked but I think this is just a 1-9” twist, which was fast for the time period.

I have read about all of the above mentioned articles and titles at some point or another.

Things have come a long way since the Clark and other over bore cartridge ideas were done. More powder and bullet options.

I was hoping maybe some modern TTH data was around.
Is this 224 clark made on a Mauser action ? Thanks.