Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-09-2022, 02:58 PM

Default Brownells Howa Mini Barrelled actions

Brownells has Howa mini .223 barreled actions on sale right now if anyone is looking.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:07 PM

Default Saw this on Rapid Fire yesterday

SPIKE CAMP HOWA 1500 MINI STD #2 BC NUTMEG SATIN

One of those barreled actions and this stock would make up into a relatively inexpensive way for someone to teach themself how to put together a really nice little bolt action rifle for someone who is OK with thumbhole stocks.

Last edited by JDHasty; 10-09-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:49 AM

Are they the go to small caliber choices now that CZ has goofed up their line by not continuing to sell proven winners?

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Are they the go to small caliber choices now that CZ has goofed up their line by not continuing to sell proven winners?
I think that depends on a persons thoughts and pocket book.
Howa has been a fine firearm for a lot of years, it just does not get the attention that other do, as often.
They make a fine base action to use and now some have pre-fit barrels for them, that make them even more workable to play with.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
In my opinion Howa quality on the basic action is as good or better than everything out there that is currently competing in that market segment. There are aftermarket replacement magazine and magazine well options available that take care of the shortfalls I find with them.

To the best of my knowledge there is no current options that will allow this action to be used as the basis for a rimmed cartridge repeater.

To answer your question: For me they are.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Default Howa mini

I ordered one. Now deciding what to build it into. Either a .17 mach iv, 17 Fireball or a 17-222. A buddy gave me 800 25 gr remington plhp to shoot. I had steered away from 17 due to a lack of good bullets for coyotes.
I just pulled a Tikka T3x out of the lathe I built in 20 Practical.. I have some time to decide.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
I ordered one. Now deciding what to build it into. Either a .17 mach iv, 17 Fireball or a 17-222. A buddy gave me 800 25 gr remington plhp to shoot. I had steered away from 17 due to a lack of good bullets for coyotes.
I just pulled a Tikka T3x out of the lathe I built in 20 Practical.. I have some time to decide.
Either of those 17's would work well. I have the 17 FB and that cartridge shoots just great, it will surprise you on how and what it can do.
And being in my commie state of California I legally can only use the lead free bullets, but the 15.5 NTX bullet does a super job on my critters, even coyote sized ones. Lung/heart or head shots, they don't move.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
Not that any of those mentioned wouldn't work well but, for me, there is just something special about the triple deuce so I'm always partial to just about anything based off of it. I don't know that I'll ever build a 17 cal centerfire but if I ever did, it would be a 17-222.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:59 PM

Like you B23, I enjoy the 222 Rem case. working up loads and all now on a 20 VTT and it is shooting sweet.

I went a step further with a Howa Mini and have it in 22 PPC, little larger case than the 222 R, but also a sweet shooter.

Kind of thinking about a 20 PPC, later this winter, as another project.

Also know the OP will enjoy his project, with which ever manner he choices.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:48 PM

I need another project like a hole in the head. I really like the Howa Mini, have three now and another wouldn’t bother me.

I rebarreled one and had to put a relief cut to get it loose from the action.

Have a 20BR that I need to put some attention towards. Along with a 224 Clark that has turned into yet another project.