Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Supporting Member

Bowfisher,
Please tell me what magazine you used as an insert in the GI type magazine for your 17VHA? I have a gas operated 17VHA but never was good with sheet metal and just made an adapter for the FN 5.7X28 pistol magazine. Your magazine looks more straight up where mine is very angled due to the angle of the grip needed on the FN pistol.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 02-27-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Supporting Member

I also have an AR-15 in 17 Fireball that works just fine although the 17VHA helps me extend my powder supply a lot further. The picture below is my Fireball that was done around 10 or 12 years ago.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM

Reached out to Adam yesterday, waiting to hear back. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Nice looking gun, Boomer. How has it been for you over the last decade? How did you get a magazine to work with the short cartridge?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_Coyotes View Post
Nice looking gun, Boomer. How has it been for you over the last decade? How did you get a magazine to work with the short cartridge?
I actually didn't have any problems with the standard AR mag but I use a 10 rounder. If I were to go any higher in capacity I might add a filler at the front of the mag but I never had the need to go that far. Yes, the rounds do have a habit of shifting forward a bit but I actually think the bolt moving to the rear after firing a round may set the next round back into place. I never really checked and never had a feed problem so I'm just guessing.

If I were to go with a longer mag I would try a Magpul 20 rounder. I've done metal fillers at the front of the magpuls for a rimless 256 Winchester magnum which is shorter than the Fireball cartridge and another for a 7.62X25 mini-whisper type round that is even shorter. the Magpul mags have a front section on the follower that can be cut back various amounts to allow for fillers of different sizes to be mounted in front for the length of the mag. The Magpul 20 round mags are straight so the filler is straight and the modified follower runs smooth for the whole mag length.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Do you feel a five round magazine might be the most reliable for feeding a .17 Rem. Fireball in an AR configuration? My state is opening the use of semi auto's for hunting next year and will have a five round mag. maximum.

Am I correct the side charging option still allows the operation of the gun as a semi auto?

Thanks all... While I have some AR type firearms, I am a novice compared to my bolt guns which are my favorites.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:40 PM

Seeking coyotes I'm guessing your from PA. I'm excited about the prospect of semi auto hunting as well. I won't answer for anyone else but my plan was to only use the 5 round mag. I think this will limit shifting around while firing as only 5 rounds are used. Also fireball brass is a pain to find and worse pain to make. I don't plan on "plinking" with mine and dont need any higher capacity for what I plan on doing with it. Your mileage may vary
Also my side charger is semi auto. The only thing you have to do is shorten the bolt stop release to clear the new side bolt handle.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10

Last edited by 260Ackley; 02-28-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

I'll bet the 5 round mag will do fine with no mods. I started out with a 5 round mag and discovered the way they blocked the mag was to have the spring inside stacked as a solid metal block. I can understand the business about trying to find smaller cases that fall in the grass -- especially with my bad eyes. Believe it or not, I've gone to using a small hand towel draped over the scope and covering the ejection port. The brass hits the towel and drops to the ground or onto the bench. I really don't like those brass catcher bags that strap to the handguard.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:42 AM

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work and getting ready for turkey season. Some of us have J O B S, lol.

My 17VHA IS fully functioning, semi-auto, it's just been turned into a side charger, instead of the rear latch. Lots of bolt work done , obviously...Anything I build from here on out will be side charge, and probably piston.

The smaller cases require extensive tinkering and expertise in the AR arena, most gunsmiths just won't mess with them because of the time required. Bolt face work, extractor tweaking, ejection optimizing, gas metering,etc... it's not for kids....

I know of a couple 17VHA AR's that were put together by different folks that don't feed worth a crap, or shoot. Be very careful when selecting a 'smith for a project this obscure.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 AM

Yup, I've been chatting with Adam, great guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Adam Bentley put together an upper for me. It took some time to find brass and then I've been distracted with other projects and haven't had time to shoot it. Hope to get around to it this summer. Adam was great to work with and very knowledgeable. When I have any results I will post. Will be a while yet.