Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2020, 05:00 PM

Default 22 Hornet reloading dies

Hey All,

I am going to be reloading for a 22 Hornet and I would like to know what each person would recommend for dies.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:32 PM
Supporting Member

I neck size everything I load for. Technically the Hornet head spaces on the rim, but you can also size them so they will also head space on the shoulder, especially a K Hornet. By not FL sizing the case you get virtually unlimited case life in the Hornet. I have some that are over 25 firings and have never been annealed. I use an Redding bushing neck die to get 3 thou of neck tension and I only size the neck far enough down to cover the depth the bullet is into the case and a Redding competition seater.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I neck size everything I load for. Technically the Hornet head spaces on the rim, but you can also size them so they will also head space on the shoulder, especially a K Hornet. By not FL sizing the case you get virtually unlimited case life in the Hornet. I have some that are over 25 firings and have never been annealed. I use an Redding bushing neck die to get 3 thou of neck tension and I only size the neck far enough down to cover the depth the bullet is into the case and a Redding competition seater.
Dean2,

I see that Redding makes a full length and neck bushing die. You are using the neck bushing die. Do you also have a body die, to bump the shoulder. If so, how often do you have to do so?
Old 09-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Board Sponsor

I highly recommend Redding. Yep they are more expensive, but IMHO you pay for what you get on dies across the board.

I do not have to body size any of my hornets, neck size only. I do not run high pressure (4198 full case and run with it).
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 09-07-2020, 06:06 PM

I have Hornady dies for the 22 Hornet. They also make a 22 Hornet-specific NS die, that works great. I have four Hornets, and segregate the brass to the rifle, and neck size only after the initial fire-forming to that rifle. 22 Hornet brass can vary as much as a 1 grain in capacity between the various manufacturers, so keep with one type of brass.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I have Hornady dies for the 22 Hornet. They also make a 22 Hornet-specific NS die, that works great. I have four Hornets, and segregate the brass to the rifle, and neck size only after the initial fire-forming to that rifle. 22 Hornet brass can vary as much as a 1 grain in capacity between the various manufacturers, so keep with one type of brass.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
+1 on The Hornady dies, have the same setup. I wouldn't go so far as to say that one should keep with one type of brass, but it would probably be easier in the long run. I would just keep track of what load works with what brass in what firearm, and separate accordingly. Between R-P, Winchester, Prvi Partizan and who knows what other brass one may find, the variation in cases could be (proportionately) pretty radical, and being such a small case to begin with, my rule of thumb concerning .22 Hornet is DON'T HOT ROD IT. JMO.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:51 PM

Default 22H dies

I use RCBS for my hornets.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Supporting Member

A Lee Collet Sizer works well on 22 Hornet also.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM

I bought a Lee collet die for the Hornet, but went back to partial FL sizing with my Hornady dies. As I was only sizing 1/2 of the neck, this left a smaller shoulder on the neck. I am sure this added in accuracy.
As I was only sizing part of the neck and barely touching the rest of the case, I did not have to outside lube them, so no wiping after sizing. I did have to inside neck lube the cases.
I did this in 2 CZ Hornets, so roughly 16,000 to 17,000 times using about 900-1,000 cases altogether.
Also, with the .218 Bee Ruger, I partial FL sized using Hornady dies again. I really liked those dies for that purpose. The seating dies are super as well as the expander plug being beautifully shaped.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Dean2,

I see that Redding makes a full length and neck bushing die. You are using the neck bushing die. Do you also have a body die, to bump the shoulder. If so, how often do you have to do so?
I am using the Neck bushing die 99% of the time, I also have a regular neck die and have a FL die but I have never had to bump the shoulder. Only time I use the FL die is if I am fitting fired brass to a different gun. I keep my brass segregated by gun. I use Privi and WW brass exclusively as they have nearly identical internal capacity. 12.6 grains of Lil'Gun 40 grain Vmax or Blitzking and Fed small pistol primers. Shoot under 1 MOA in dozens of Hornets, some it will do 1/4" like my CZ and Browning.

To also have Lee collet, RCBS FL and neck, I even have a set of RCBS for .223 Hornets, and the Hornady dies in 22 H. Tried them all, only talked about what I landed on as my favourite.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-09-2020 at 05:14 PM.