Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2019, 02:20 AM

It's a 24" 1/10 twist barrel with sporter contour.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmynut View Post
Thank you all. All good info and even more than I expected detail wise.

What's your 6mmAR's barrel length, Johnly? The info on the twist helps too. I've been struggling with that. 10 sounds like it would be good for the bullet weights Id shoot.

I'm going to pick up one in a Grendel here shortly and give it a whirl.
If I was rich I'd buy two and leave one as is. lol Maybe do that anyway but a couple months apart. With one in 6mm 10 twist for light bullets and the 6.5 for heavier and larger diameter, sounds like a plan.

Two rifles, same brass to start......

I've been doing some reading on the straight 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun whenever I can find it. Sounds like I'd enjoy having both.

Thanks again. Just looking at photos don't tell me much but I could tell some things have changed and fewer seem to have nice wood here lately but, I wont die I guess.

Feel free to suggest a 'smith for the rebarreling.......anyone. Talked to Bob Green a bit but nothing carved in stone.

Has there been any improvements in bases and rings to get the scope down lower here in the last 10 years or so?

Many thanks
God Bless
Steve
Old 12-17-2019, 02:26 AM

Buy yourself a CZ527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel and shoot it a bit. Then decide whether ir is worth effort to rebarrel to 6mmAR. If you don't like the wood then replace it with a Bell & Carlson Kevlar stock. I love wood stocks, but they have to be something special to overcome the advantage of a composite stock

I recommend that when you rebarrel it that you select a varmint contour so that there's enough meat to hang a suppressor and not cause a POI shift. At which point you may consider pillar and bedding to help support action with heavier barrel.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 12-17-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:10 PM

Thumbs up All appreciated.

That's a beauty for sure, MontDoug. I knew something had happened to the wood quality. A shame but not a deal breaker.

There is an occasional one here and there with decent wood but nothing like the earlier ones and even they werent ALL extra nice.

The Grendel is an interesting cartridge and a bit of a different horse when in a bolt gun but I'm just not excited about the 6.5 bore bullets on average.

There are SOME not heavy for caliber but the majority is made for "WAY out there" and the weight and length over-powers the ability to give it better velocity for a short-medium range rifle.

Even though close in diameter, the quarter bore has a plethora of bullets for medium range when compared. The 6mm even more so with oodles of varmint weight bullets.

I'm sure I'll LIKE the Grendel but, for my uses, necked to either of the above diameters would be a step up but that's just my 2 cents and only for my uses.

If they hadnt discontinued so many 100 and 120 grain cup and core bullets, for me, it would have been a better round, but here we are.

Personal wants and needs. That's all it is.
God Bless to all and many thanks for the info and opinions.

Steve
Old 12-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Supporting Member

Some of CZ's best wood came with the introduction of the 221 Fire Ball rifles. I had one with incredible grain and structure until you looked at the rifle from the top of the stock. Then it was more than obvious to see that the rifle had been inletted into the stock in a very crooked manner. At the muzzle end of the stock, on the left side there was hardly and wood remaining on the stock out of the barrel channel, but just across the barrel on the right side of the stock there was a bunch of wood remaining. It became less evident as you looked back down the stock toward the rifle action.

I totally failed to see the problem until I looked the rifle over thoroughly at home after buying it, largely because the very nice wood grain and color was all that I saw in the gun shop.

It went down the road with full disclosure of the inletting snafu. However, just mentioning it to someone made it apparent to anyone with 20/100 vision or better...

btw - It shot horribly and not even close to my two other 221 FB rifles. That fact alone helped it go down the road much quicker. It was indeed a wolf in lamb's clothing.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-17-2019, 10:44 PM

I think that if you wanted to convert a 223 to 6.5 Grendel and still have a magazine option you would have to swap the bottom metal. The 7.62X39/6.5 Grendel magazine is slightly longer and wider than the 223 Rem magazine. And montdoug does your Hornet have a different model number or name? I have a 527 Hornet that I'm at least the third owner of. It has the Pachmayr recoil pad and the extra large checking diamonds on the grip and forend like yours. Yours is the only other one that I've seen and I'm curious.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmynut View Post
The Grendel is an interesting cartridge and a bit of a different horse when in a bolt gun but I'm just not excited about the 6.5 bore bullets on average.

There are SOME not heavy for caliber but the majority is made for "WAY out there" and the weight and length over-powers the ability to give it better velocity for a short-medium range rifle.

Even though close in diameter, the quarter bore has a plethora of bullets for medium range when compared. The 6mm even more so with oodles of varmint weight bullets.

I'm sure I'll LIKE the Grendel but, for my uses, necked to either of the above diameters would be a step up but that's just my 2 cents and only for my uses.
I agree with your logic. When the 6.5 Creedmoor was just gaining popularity I elected to go with a modified 243 Win (6mm) based on wide range of bullets, quality brass (Lapua wasn't making Creedmoor cases at that time), and ability to use plethora of factory ammo readily available everywhere. I was only guy not affected by ammo shortage.,, there was lots of 243 on shelf when cupboard was bare for everything else.

Its a pain to buy new rifle to only then throw away barrel. I don't think any of the CZ527 Varmint (Kevlar stocked) were chambered in Grendel. I found a used one in .223 that I was going to use for a build, but it shot exceptionally that I couldn't change it, Instead, I bought another 527 for the trigger and action and then bought custom barrel and B&C kevlar stock. No regrets, but got pricey. I keep waiting to kill a pig with it, but they refuse to show their snouts during daylight..,pigs!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I think that if you wanted to convert a 223 to 6.5 Grendel and still have a magazine option you would have to swap the bottom metal. The 7.62X39/6.5 Grendel magazine is slightly longer and wider than the 223 Rem magazine. And montdoug does your Hornet have a different model number or name? I have a 527 Hornet that I'm at least the third owner of. It has the Pachmayr recoil pad and the extra large checking diamonds on the grip and forend like yours. Yours is the only other one that I've seen and I'm curious.
You'll also have to either need to replace the bolt or have gunsmith expand the face to fit the larger Grendel case
Old 12-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Default Grendel or 6x45

I passed on the 223 but it would have been rebarreled to a 6x45. It was a really nice one from 2003. Sweet wood grain.

I must have confused the issue and not made it clear that if going 223 it would be rebarreled to a 6x45 and the Grendel version would be rebarreled to 6mmAR BUT....the suggestion made to shoot the Grendel first before deciding is a good one.
I shouldn't judge the 6.5 Grendel too much going only by "stats on paper" and should put in some trigger time. I overthink things quite often so firing some Lapua brass in it wont be any kind of loss since still usable to resize to 6mm.

IF I do rebarrel so 6mmAR the 6.5 barrel wouldnt be a total loss. The threading would have to be cut off and rethreaded but there would be enough barrel to rechamber to maybe a 6.5x47 Lapua and stick it on my model Seven Remington.
I'll have to compare barrel contour but my guess is the 527 barrel is beefier than my 6mm Rem barrel on the Model Seven now so opening the channel would be necessary I would guess. I'll have to compare. While not entranced with the 6.5mm at least the 6.5x47L has enough horsepower and enough retained barrel length to push the larger for caliber bullets and the Model Seven has enough action/COAL length to allow the COAL in great form. Too much tightwad German/ Pennsylvania Dutch blood in my veins to not use it for something. The 18.5 inch 6mm Rem barrel is just a bit "much" for my liking muzzle blast wise. All I shoot in it are majorly reduced loads.

I found a Grendel American (not Rustic) at a decent price. If still in stock I'll order it in the AM. Not trusting website info 100 percent I'm calling first.
There IS a Grendel American 527 on GB with NICE wood but not super. Price isnt low enough for me to bite though.

The Rustic (beechwood stock) version is less money but having an option to see one in person isn't within my grasp so I'll order a walnut American and cross my fingers on wood. I wont be disappointed with plain Jane wood.....Ill just be grinning harder if it came with some nice grain. Minor point but its something I do like.

IF this rambled on too much or confused the issue more, don't shoot me. It's 1AM and I'm up for my normal nightly "issues" and probably not 100 percent mentally functional.

I know I have "too many irons in the fire" on this project. I'll probably end up with three rifles instead of two when all said and done.

REALLY bad time of year to order something that needs shipped though.

(I'll come fix all the typing and sentence structure mistakes in the AM. )

God Bless and thanks again to all.
Steve
Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Instead of the wood factory stock, have you considered a laminate wood stock, such as those offered by Boyd:

Some suggestions - At-One, At-One Thumbhole, Pro Varmint, or Varmint Thumbhole