Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-05-2020, 05:02 PM

This Cooper came from an estate sale, and had very little visible use on it, if any. Either way, it shoots now, with the only change being the brass, so I’m happy.

I think the bad reamer(s) that Cooper had were around 1999/2000, if I remember right. This rifle was built in 1994.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Nothing wrong with a MOA rifle, it will take out anything, with proper bullet placement.
Now with that I must say, most of my rifles and the loads worked up for them are all closer to 1/2 inch at the 100 mark, and still holding very well on out to the ranges I shoot. I am happy with any of those, any day out shooting. Bill K
If I buy a rifle, and it won’t go below MOA, it goes down the road.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
The OP might be ok with an MOA gun. Who knows. Myself, after paying for a custom barrel, or Cooper would not be. When building/buying a wildcat, niche, or obsolete chambering, one has to be prepared to pay more. Sometimes much more.
You could always ask the OP what his expectations are before just insinuating that he "might be ok with an MOA gun. Who knows." Or otherwise if he's not, his project will be, through your stated opinion, "I can guarantee you that this is going to be a money pit."

I'm betting that the OP knows what he is looking for in terms of expectations and he likely knows how to get there. And for the record, I wouldn't know the OP from Adam if he rang my door bell.

I for one hope he gets what he wants. JMO, without a pit full of money involved with my opinion.

- BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-05-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
The OP might be ok with an MOA gun. Who knows. Myself, after paying for a custom barrel, or Cooper would not be. When building/buying a wildcat, niche, or obsolete chambering, one has to be prepared to pay more. Sometimes much more.
Indeed. I’ve several custom bench guns and a number of Coopers myself. All these are single-shots.

I can easily buy a capgun if all I wanted was for something to go bang; which was exactly what my factory Remington 700 17 FB was. Having participated in the benchrest game some years ago, I’m well versed in what it takes to build, and load for, an accurate rifle. To quote Col. Whelen, “Only accurate rifles are interesting”. My goal for the 17 Fireball is a lightweight repeater - one that is accurate. To that end, is why my inquiry regarding the proper feeding/ejection of the short and small FB case.

It seems the thread has drifted away from my original ask. Any thoughts regarding a small bolt action receiver that would suit are appreciated.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben lurkin View Post
Any thoughts regarding a small bolt action receiver that would suit are appreciated.
I like the direction you laid out to begin with.

Quote:
I want a repeater so I’ll go with a Model Seven action. I see PT&G offers them with what looks like one of their custom bolts. Regarding the bolt, I know the extractor is positioned a little higher on the Fireball bolts as the 204 likes to bounce the occasional spent brass off the L-R scope knob. It’s not a real problem but it does reflect that Remington did at least put a little thought into proper ejection of the little fireplug case that is the Fireball. Too bad getting this little cartridge from paper to production failed so miserably! Looking at the PTG bolt, there’s three extractor options: Remington extractor cut, the Sako extractor, and the mini-M16 style. Here’s where I need some help. What extractor option would work best to ensure proper ejection for my project? Anyone have any experience to make this a success?

I bought two of the 700 Classics the year they came out in .221. One I left .221, the other I pulled the barrel off un-fired and sent the action off for a full monte job and a Lilja #4, 10 twist, in .17 Mach IV, 24" long.

Both fed just fine. I no longer have the .221, but it fed well enough with the blocked up mag and purpose clocked ejector that I believe was unique to that model at that time.

The .17 Mach IV still feeds okay too.

Note - I wouldn't rate that feeding as "slick" or even "smooth", but it's perfectly functional.

The ejector...

I never had any issues with the .221 and the factory ejector. Like I said, it wasn't exactly smooth, but a purposeful vigorous cycling of the bolt handle reliably extracted, ejected and fed.

The .17 Mach IV however, had ongoing issues with the factory extractor. This was more the fault of the not to be named, world famous, much sought after for his work, uber expensive, year long wait, bench rest world record holding, accuracy 'smith that did the blueprint on the action, than anything with the factory design. In a nutshell, in the process of truing the bolt face he made the extractor fit too sloppy.

So... I had Greg Tannel fit a Sako extractor to that bolt and have lived happily ever after with a 700 that functions adequately with the .17 Mach IV case.

So, I might lean towards the Sako option on the PTG bolt? But if it works like the factory version, the Model Seven is a really nice fit for what you want to do, in my opinion. It's a setup I'd love to have myself, put it that way.

My favorite calling rifle is on a Model Seven, in .17 Predator.

- DAA
Old 01-05-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It seems the thread has drifted away from my original ask. Any thoughts regarding a small bolt action receiver that would suit are appreciated.
An original Remington Model 7 in 17 Fireball with a featherweight contour barrel and B&C M7 Sporter stock will put you in the 6 lb neighborhood.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:40 PM

Getting back to the point, either the CZ527 or a Sako L461/A1 action would be great. I have both and like both for small actions.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

A Sako L-461 or a Sako AI is never a bad choice for building a small caliber rifle

From there, if I couldn't find a suitable Sako donor, I would opt for a short action Rem 700 with a Sako style extractor installed.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-05-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I’ve several custom bench guns and a number of Coopers myself. All these are single-shots.

I can easily buy a capgun if all I wanted was for something to go bang; which was exactly what my factory Remington 700 17 FB was. Having participated in the benchrest game some years ago, I’m well versed in what it takes to build, and load for, an accurate rifle. To quote Col. Whelen, “Only accurate rifles are interesting”. My goal for the 17 Fireball is a lightweight repeater - one that is accurate. To that end, is why my inquiry regarding the proper feeding/ejection of the short and small FB case.

Hey Ben,

What is your budget for the build? Are you wanting a modest rifle then consider a factory action, such as CZ527, Model 7, Rem 700 SV, Sako L46 (box mag), Sako L461 (internal blind magazine). A couple of the actions, CZ527 and Rem700, were chambered in a Fireball so keep your eyes out on Gunbroker or similar platform and you might find one.

If you want a Custom build then consider Coopers, Borden SSR, Deviant Ultralight, etc.

I have a few of the vintage Sakos as well as the CZ 527 Varmints (heavier barrel & Kevlar stocks). If you are wanting a light weight rifle (walking gun) then the CV527 with a B&C Kevlar stock (vertical palm swell / pistol-style buttstock) and factory single set trigger are hard to beat. However, if you are looking for a fun plinking/target gun that will be shot mostly off a bench then I prefer a full size action/stock

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 01-05-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 PM

I’ve a sako L461 in 223 and saw one for sale recently in a FB configuration. Does the FB case feed out of the mag box well in those? I’m trying to keep this in the 6-7# range less optics & mounts. I really like mine in 223.

I’ve had a few CZ 527s. I’m down to one in 17 hornet currently. I’m considering this as the base gun pretty hard right now but the safety is backwards as most of you know already.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Howa Mini? $1500 or so is what I’m trying to stay within but willing to go more if necessary.