Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-07-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
Another mini is the Mossberg 5.56 MVP. Bolt is about the same as the pic of the Howa mini above (~6"), action is 1.20" diameter and 5.35" long. Ejection port is slightly over 2" long. Uses AR15 mags. Feeds 17FB just fine, as long as the rounds are stacked to the rear. Only bolt head is the .375" (223). Barrel has an odd tenon and thread (7/8"-28 1.400" long).

I chose it over the Howa mini because of the magazine system.

Barrel nuts and recoil lugs- PT&G
Triggers- Jard
Cool I've seen a MVP bolt face opened up to accept a .424" case. the .338 spectre. pretty cool rifle. seen one SBR'd as well which looked like a handy tool to have.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
Another mini is the Mossberg 5.56 MVP. Bolt is about the same as the pic of the Howa mini above (~6"), action is 1.20" diameter and 5.35" long. Ejection port is slightly over 2" long. Uses AR15 mags. Feeds 17FB just fine, as long as the rounds are stacked to the rear. Only bolt head is the .375" (223). Barrel has an odd tenon and thread (7/8"-28 1.400" long).

I chose it over the Howa mini because of the magazine system.

Barrel nuts and recoil lugs- PT&G
Triggers- Jard
A friend has a Mossberg 5.56 MVP, except for the super floppy bolt when fully retracted, it's not too bad. It'll do MOA. I do like being able to use AR mags.

PTG should be making a decent fitting bolt for it!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
The little centerfire action should be just like his current V22 action in that it'l fit into any Rem M700 inlet...
I couldn't get much info from his web site, but if it's a 700 action then I'm not interested. The 700 footprint is not even a "small" action in my opinion. I shoot 700grain 510cal bullets from a 10-round magazine with a 700 short action:

For smaller stuff we have the CZ 527 and the Howa Mini, which are both good and inexpensive. Now, if he were to make something like the Cooper M38 (which is discontinued), I would be very interested.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
I couldn't get much info from his web site, but if it's a 700 action then I'm not interested. The 700 footprint is not even a "small" action in my opinion. I shoot 700grain 510cal bullets from a 10-round magazine with a 700 short action:

For smaller stuff we have the CZ 527 and the Howa Mini, which are both good and inexpensive. Now, if he were to make something like the Cooper M38 (which is discontinued), I would be very interested.
You aren't getting "IT" man!

The current Vudoo 22rf action fits any M700 foot print chassis or stock """but""" the action port size is similar in size to all the other 22rf bolt actions - just like the old Rem 40x 22rf's are.

Just like the new little centerfire actions port size will be appropriate to whatever smaller cartridges the CEO decides to go with ""OR"" in other words, smaller than the typical sizes we see now like the HOWA mini or CZ527, or Mossberg, all of which were designed with the 223 family of cases in mind. ANNNNNNNNND still fit in any M700 footprint chassis or stock!!!

Possibly the port size will be close to the Cooper M38??!!
Old 01-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Like I said, if the action is the size of a 700 then it is not small. I shoot 50cal in actions that size. The M38 is small. It is much shorter and smaller diameter than a 700. It is too small for even 223. I would be interested in a small action.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:42 AM

My original thought/issue was that if it has a Rem700 footprint, but setup to run shortened cases then this translates to additional weight in the action... more weight in receiver body and potentially heavier bolt. Assuming the load/eject port is reduced for 221 fireball (or smaller) then this means more steel left on receiver body as compared to milling port for a 223 length case. If bolt throw is right-sized (shortened) for reduced case length then the overall bolt length will increase compared to standard short action bolt length, which will increase bolt weight. If the bolt length stays the same as current short action bolt then the only thing special about this action would be a reduced load/eject port???

So back to wanting/needing details for why such an action by Voodoo is an improvement compared to other current custom actions.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Like I said, if the action is the size of a 700 then it is not small. I shoot 50cal in actions that size. The M38 is small. It is much shorter and smaller diameter than a 700. It is too small for even 223. I would be interested in a small action.
Okay, I see what you mean.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
My original thought/issue was that if it has a Rem700 footprint, but setup to run shortened cases then this translates to additional weight in the action... more weight in receiver body and potentially heavier bolt. Assuming the load/eject port is reduced for 221 fireball (or smaller) then this means more steel left on receiver body as compared to milling port for a 223 length case. If bolt throw is right-sized (shortened) for reduced case length then the overall bolt length will increase compared to standard short action bolt length, which will increase bolt weight. If the bolt length stays the same as current short action bolt then the only thing special about this action would be a reduced load/eject port???

So back to wanting/needing details for why such an action by Voodoo is an improvement compared to other current custom actions.
For me I want some extra weight! I'd be putting a heavy barrel on it, maybe even a muzzle brake, and a heavyish scope on it too. Because it's so much fun seeing exactly where you hit or miss. And having 10 round mags is the other half of the appeal to me.

But I can see the viewpoint of having a lightweight walk around varminter too, but the Vudoo might not work the best for this agenda??

Well I do already have my CZ527 in 20-221AI as my light weight walk around varminter. As well as my HK300 22 mag for 150Y and less.

Cooper should have done a M38 repeater I suppose??
Old 01-13-2020, 01:49 PM

Another thing I thought of is the bolt throw only goes back far enough to eject a case in their 22rf action so I imagine it'll be scaled the same way to a small centerfire.

Some guys are putting lightweight carbon sleeved barrels like Proof makes, and carbon shell Manner's stocks to make their V22's as lightweight as possible, but very expensive to do. IIRC those rifles were coming in at under 7lbs.

I don't think a few extra ounces in an action is a deal breaker compared to say a CZ527's action?!

Well anyway, I'd wager that if one were to feel how nice the bolt lift is and how smooth the bolt going back and forth is on a V22 action they might be enticed by it.

I would have already bought a V22 but I already have a Anschutz 1827F 22rf biathlon rifle that meets my needs.

I have two friends with V22's and they love them. Both these guys can buy any rimfire they want, in fact they've been behind or owned most of them, this is what they settled on.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:01 PM

What I LIKE about the 700 footprint is, you can buy any stock chassis made for it, and they usually are in stock . You have many many options for fantastic triggers from bolt on triggers. That's why they make sense to me. Smaller would be cool. .17 WSM would be cooler but probably not going to happen.