Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Default I just bought myself into the 17 cal group

My 527A came in today and I wasted no time getting it out for a quick test. First thing I noticed was all cleaning rods advertised as 17 cal don't always fit. Second is the weak spot on this rifle is the magazine. My test target showed a spread of 19mm. Not the high point of my day seeing that. Fed from the magazine that's a fair target. Feeding single rounds will provide nice tiny groups at 50 yards with factory ammo. I'll close saying I didn't win the wood lottery but it has a very consistent grain. I'm tickled with my new rifle.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
My 527A came in today and I wasted no time getting it out for a quick test. First thing I noticed was all cleaning rods advertised as 17 cal don't always fit. Second is the weak spot on this rifle is the magazine. My test target showed a spread of 19mm. Not the high point of my day seeing that. Fed from the magazine that's a fair target. Feeding single rounds will provide nice tiny groups at 50 yards with factory ammo. I'll close saying I didn't win the wood lottery but it has a very consistent grain. I'm tickled with my new rifle.
Which 17 did you get in the 527? I got back into 527s a couple of months ago by buying a used LH .223 527 American. My first ones were a 22 Hornet and .223 Lux from J&G Sales back when the Lux was about all that you could get. I was an early adopter of these when they were not well known. I think I paid $425.00 +- range back then. I sold mine because they were the Lux model and right hand. I started to get into acquiring LH rifles at that time. Being that I shoot LH rifles, I could not get a 17 527, so I had to get my 17s from other companies.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59 AM

It's the 17HH
Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 AM

I’ve read and heard that your rifle should be a great shooter!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

I am still shaking out my new CZ-527 Varmint in 17hh. It is shooting nicely.

The most accurate "out of the box" factory gun I have ever owned is a CZ-527 American in .22 hornet.

I bought a "Bobs Original" single shot sled designed for the CZ-527 to get around the magazine aggravation in my hornets. I use the same sled for both my 17 and 22 527's. Still not a perfect answer in mine. I have to drop the round into the chamber and then slide it forward a bit with my thumb before closing the bolt. It has become muscle memory now.

Have fun and keep us posted.

v/r rch

Last edited by rhouser; 12-08-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Default Hornet

You'll love the 17HH it's become my favorite cartridge!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM

Rhouser

I am not familiar with Bob's Original....but you would improve you single-shot loading tremendously by investing in James Calhoon single-shot adapter.

The "valley" design of Jim's SS adapter works very well with the CZ control-round feeding of the cartridge, by allowing the rear of the cartridge to drop below the extractor and then, slide up into the extractor's grip. I have used dozens of these and one is in every CZ I have.

Pic Links and JC website Link:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...hsimp=yhs-SF01

http://jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php

Bill

P.S. You will need a small SS adapter "S" for your 17HH
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM

+1 for William t oviatt. James Calhoon had the first (and best) custom sled for the 527's.

I was just aggravated with my hornet magazine, and being lazy, ordered the Bob's Sled because it was available on Amazon Prime and I wanted a "fast fix". No mailing of money orders and order forms.

Per your endorsement, I believe that Jims's sled must not have the same issues with the controlled feed that mine does and so, would be a better solution for the O/P of this tread.

To fix mine, I would have to mess with the extractor timing to make it work without thumbing and that is beyond my skill set. I will have to keep thumbing the round up the slide into the chamber.

Jame Calhoon and the .19's are an awesome conversion for the 527's. Nothing but good stuff comes out of his shops.

v/r rch

Last edited by rhouser; 12-08-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the help. I remember buying some bullets for my L46 Hornet from a Gentleman in the early 90's. I think it may have been Mr. Calhoun. I did shoot them, was very impressed but moved due to promotion shortly afterwards. I never could fine that rolodex with his phone number to report back. I managed to find time to polish the feed lips and hopefully try it soon.