Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 AM

Mine's not quite a dream gun but oughtta be very utilitarian for it's purpose--a Savage Striker pistol 17 Hornet with a Shilen 8T at 18". Probably gonna put an old 10X Burris on top maybe, but may use a 3-12 instead. For prairie dogs.

Last edited by sshcoyote; 01-12-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:34 PM

I liked my 1885 enough but I wasn't that enthused with 22 Hornet, well mine was a 1.25" shooter at best.

Got a Contender 20" barrel in 17K Hornet and really liked it.

You know how it is huh??, man I have forgotten half the rifles I've owned. I never had the money to keep them all so I'd trade them in or sell them to try something else out.

I settled on 20 caliber as my go-to, and only have a few varmint rifles left.

Dream rifle??? I guess a BAT action single shot drop port in one of those beautiful high grade AAA laminated hard wood stocks with fiddleback maple on one side of the stock and red walnut on the other side of the stock lol, maybe some carbon fiber laminated in the middle for stability.

But sorry, 22 Hornet wouldn't be on the list of cartridge choices.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:29 PM

A nice fancy wood #1 Ruger would make a nice Hornet.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM

Have three KoO Hornets, Contender Hornets, and a few Ruger 77/22 Hornets. If I were to pick something that I don't have or have ownerd I would pick a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion in 22 Hornet. I like the lines and the flush magazine. For hunting my choice would be one of my Ruger Hornets. Gasp!! I think the rifles have descent lines and I really like the flush magazine even if it makes the bottom of the rifle a little boxey. The 24" medium heavy barreled rifle has been reworked by CPC and is a solid 1/2MOA shooter with a 40gr. Nosler Varmitgeddon at almost 3200 fps when I do my part. I lucked into a Ruger Hornet in sporter configuration that actually shoots quite well. 1 MOA accuracy might not turn accuracy heads, but in most field conditions I'm the limiting factor
Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 AM

I've used a Ruger 77-22 in a Hornet for several years. The Barnes bullets shoot really well and are deadly in p-dogs. I've got a Kimber in a K-Hornet that was acquired about the same time as the 17WSM came out.

Frankly, I'm going to shoot either a 17HMR or a 17WSM before a Hornet anymore. That said, a Sako or an Anschutz in a Hornet could see some action.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Have three KoO Hornets, Contender Hornets, and a few Ruger 77/22 Hornets. If I were to pick something that I don't have or have ownerd I would pick a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion in 22 Hornet. I like the lines and the flush magazine. For hunting my choice would be one of my Ruger Hornets. Gasp!! I think the rifles have descent lines and I really like the flush magazine even if it makes the bottom of the rifle a little boxey. The 24" medium heavy barreled rifle has been reworked by CPC and is a solid 1/2MOA shooter with a 40gr. Nosler Varmitgeddon at almost 3200 fps when I do my part. I lucked into a Ruger Hornet in sporter configuration that actually shoots quite well. 1 MOA accuracy might not turn accuracy heads, but in most field conditions I'm the limiting factor
I sold my Browning Micro Hunter here a while back to buy a Hornet in a Cooper, but with a heavy barrel. I am not so sure I should have done that. While I really like the Cooper, I think that the Browning action is a bit more refined and slick.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Last edited by Danny; 01-13-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:44 AM

I could really go for a Browning micro medallion in 22 Hornet..
Old 01-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Supporting Member

I like hornets. I have a Sako P72, my first Hornet as well as a Cooper, a Browning Micro A bolt, A CZ Prestige as well as a regular 527, aOld 1885 low wall rebarreled in K hornet and a Savage model 23.The only hornets I ever sold were Rugers, A No.1 and a pair of M77/22H.
On my list to have is a Anschutz and a Mini Sharps. However for the right price I have room for more
Old 01-15-2020, 01:32 AM

My 22 Hornet is a Browning Abolt Micro Hunter. Had the barrel shortened to 16” and threaded for a suppressor. Sweet little gun that is more accurate than I am and quieter than a 22LR. Just so much fun to shoot and handles the Hornady 46 gr. SPs. Dave
Old 01-15-2020, 01:58 AM
Supporting Member

My acquaintance with the hornet started when I borrowed one from a cousin. I believe it was a Savage 340 but that was over 50 years ago so I could be wrong on the model number. I next purchased a Ruger 77 walnut and then the Stainless version. I had the walnut K'd but never achieved the accuracy that I wanted so I sold it. The stainless model shot well and I gave it to my youngest son. Next up was a 10 inch barrel for the contender. I still have it and use it for short range P'd. About 15 years ago I lucked on to a Browning Micro Medallion. It shoots well despite having a rough bore. Next is a Browning 1885 that I purchased about 5 months ago. It is a beautiful gun with XXX wood. I have not had time to really develop loads for it but it shows great promise. In between those are three 17 AH guns. I need to keep quite a few hornet brass on hand to feed these. Although the hornet my not exhibit the accuracy of my 20 VT or the velocity of the 17 AH it is entirely capable of 200 yard prairie dogs.
Rider