Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-08-2020, 01:14 AM

Default Cooper 36 IR 50/50

I posted a few months ago about locating a bunch of Cooper Rifles and I went to take another peak at them this evening and realized the guy had a Model 36 22LR. Upon looking it over I immediately realized it had a jewel trigger and knew it had to be something special. So I made a phone call to a good friend of mine that knows just about everything there is about Cooper rifles and low and behold he had some literature on the rifle it turns out the rifle is a IR 50/50. After looking at pictures, I have verified that indeed I was holding a Model 36 IR 50/50. Now the question is........what's it worth???? It's just a Classic Model. Nothing extra to it. But it is an easy 98%. I would love to add a Cooper rimfire to my safe but don't want to over pay. What's all the experts on here think????
Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 PM

I am far from the Cooper expert and I have only seen one 36 IR 50/50 but I recall it being more of a benchrest stock rather than a Classic stock, you may want to do some research to be sure of what you are looking at. Try gunsamerica.com, or gunbroker.com you may find one on there - also you might try getting some information from First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD, they handle lots of Coopers and may be able to provide you with some pricing, etc. Hopefully one of the Cooper experts on here will be able to help you.

drover

Last edited by drover; 01-08-2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

As drover mentioned, the stock on a Cooper 36 IR 50/50 is different from a typical Classic Cooper stock design. The link below is just one example, but if you scroll through the pictures available there, you can easily see the design differences that are unique to this model of rifle.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100923121

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-09-2020, 12:00 AM

Maybe I worded that wrong when I said it was "just a classic model". What I meant was there is nothing extra done to it. As I know Coopers, if you order one direct from factory you can have add on's. Like a Knurled bolt knob, or steel butt plate. Or the steel grip cap. This is just a IR 50/50 Model 36. I looked at the one on gunsinternational and it looks identical to it. However, that website doesn't help me at all when it says SOLD and doesn't give the price. I never really understood that. I may call First Stop because that is who sold that one. But I'm betting that listing was from years ago.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
Maybe I worded that wrong when I said it was "just a classic model". What I meant was there is nothing extra done to it. As I know Coopers, if you order one direct from factory you can have add on's. Like a Knurled bolt knob, or steel butt plate. Or the steel grip cap. This is just a IR 50/50 Model 36. I looked at the one on gunsinternational and it looks identical to it. However, that website doesn't help me at all when it says SOLD and doesn't give the price. I never really understood that. I may call First Stop because that is who sold that one. But I'm betting that listing was from years ago.
It very well may be an old listing as the Model 36 has not been produced for quite a few years. On the other hand, First Stop sees a lot of collector style guns run through their doors yearly, so it may be more recent than production models would indicate.

FS does a lot of appraisal work, so they might be willing to give you a good estimate. Good luck.

FYI -I ran a regular Model 36 Western Classic with about every upgrade that Cooper could supply at the time through here for a friend a few years ago (maybe 2015ish...?) for price estimates, and overall it made the rifle at the link look drab in comparison. It was maybe the best piece of French walnut that I have ever seen and the other options were very similar to this rifle including the case hardened metal.

I do know that it sold for well over $4K about 3 months later, but my friend may have just found an extra hungry buyer...? I grin when I say that as my PM box here filled up with unsolicited offers that I did not ask for at the time as the rifle was not mine to sell. The best/highest offer at the time was for $1100..... The rifle at the link is a 2012 sale.

Again, FS can probably help........ The down side is that right now its a buyer's market. In addition, I have no idea how a rifle like seen at the link compares to the less elaborate Model 36 50/50.

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=12219764

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-09-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:02 PM

UPDATE: He put a price on it of $1450. What's everyone's opinion on the price???
Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 PM

Buy it... or send me contact information!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
UPDATE: He put a price on it of $1450. What's everyone's opinion on the price???

The friend that you mention in your opening post.... What does he think is a fair price?

If its as you stated that "there is nothing extra done to it", it is probably well worth the $1495 price based on what normal off the shelf/no frills production Cooper rifles of any kind sell for today.

-BCB

Old 01-10-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
The friend that you mention in your opening post.... What does he think is a fair price?

If its as you stated that "there is nothing extra done to it", it is probably well worth the $1495 price based on what normal off the shelf/no frills production Cooper rifles of any kind sell for today.

-BCB
BCB-The Model 36 IR 50/50 was a special run back in the day. They came with a Jewel Trigger. 20" Stainless barrel. They were the lightest weight Model 36 that could be bought at the time. Weight was 5 lbs 8oz if I remember correctly. I believe to shoot the IR 50/50 matches the rifle/scope combo had to be under a certain weight. That's why it weighed least out of all the production model 36's. It is a AA maybe AAA walnut stock similar to the classic Cooper, however the forend of the stock was not rounded. Instead it was squared off some. I'm assuming for shooting off of a rest. It's in excellent condition. I asked him if I could shoot it before buying and he agreed. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'll run several different ammo's through it and see how it shoots. If it shoots like most Coopers I'll buy it.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
BCB-The Model 36 IR 50/50 was a special run back in the day. They came with a Jewel Trigger. 20" Stainless barrel. They were the lightest weight Model 36 that could be bought at the time. Weight was 5 lbs 8oz if I remember correctly. I believe to shoot the IR 50/50 matches the rifle/scope combo had to be under a certain weight. That's why it weighed least out of all the production model 36's. It is a AA maybe AAA walnut stock similar to the classic Cooper, however the forend of the stock was not rounded. Instead it was squared off some. I'm assuming for shooting off of a rest. It's in excellent condition. I asked him if I could shoot it before buying and he agreed. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'll run several different ammo's through it and see how it shoots. If it shoots like most Coopers I'll buy it.

I'm well aware what a 50/50 was/is. It was/is still a production grade rifle and not a special order rifle that Cooper produced with any and/or all frills attached. The fact that it had a Jewell trigger was a supposed step up from normal Model 36 rifles, but it did not affect the pricing near as much as the wood quality did at the time. Arnold Jewell and Dan Cooper had a falling out for some reason quite a few years ago and that is when Cooper rifles with Jewell triggers ended.

Today roughly $200+ will buy a current production Jewell trigger if you're forced to pay manufacturer price for one. They were worth even less back when they were being built for Cooper rifles, so it only adds to the true dollar value to any degree if the buyer feels that it does.

That statement is not saying that Jewell triggers aren't nice. I've bought more than just a few.... That said, if I could afford to replace every Jewell trigger that I still own with a Bix"N Andy trigger (if they were actuallymade for every rifle that I have a Jewell trigger on), I'd be having a fire sale on Jewell triggers.

Again, it sounds like $1495 is a decent price for a production line Cooper rifle.

-BCB