Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Default .17 Javelina Forming Success

Thanks to a huge favor by a fellow member here, I have been able to create twelve (yes 12) rounds of .17 Javelina for shooting in my newly acquired mystery rifle. The mystery rifle is a beautiful little full-stocked rifle featuring a petite Sako L46-sized action of unknown origin, DST, tang safety, and other unique accoutrements:

I plan to eventually rebarrel to .221 Fireball but wanted to at least fire this as a .17 Javelina before doing so. I did secure a supply of virgin .222 cases that I will likely preform and set aside, but, depending on the vibes I get from this rifle as a .17 Javelina, I may pursue the little .17 further.

The favor came in the form of borrowed forming and loading dies that worked perfectly, allowing me to leave enough temporary shoulder to create just a bit of resistance as the bolt closes on the empty cases. The trimmed but otherwise as-formed necks, without turning, are .003" smaller in diameter than the chamber neck. I elected to not anneal yet (this is, after all, an experiment) and plan to shoot these 12 rounds as is. I'm using the 20 grain VMax over a moderate charge of CME BLK:

Comparing the newly created .17 Javelina flanked by a .221 Fireball on the left, and a .222 Rem on its right:

I have the rifle and all my range stuff in the vehicle and hope to get to the range this evening!

Stand by and stay tuned.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 03-22-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Default A Fist Full of Pics

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 03-21-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Javelina

Looking good! Hope it shoots well for you. The world can use another Javelina shooter. Keep us updated, please.

Thanks!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Beautiful woodwork on that stock. I wish I could do that.

I found an old, custom .17 Javelina built on a Sako action at the big show in Dulles, Virginia last year but couldn't afford it at the time. I think the Javelina would be a lot of fun. I hope that barrel shoots for you.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Default Mini Range Report

Since I had the rifle and all my range stuff in the vehicle, I was able to get to the range last night. One huge aggravation was my inability to mount a high magnification scope on the rifle with the rings on hand, so, in the end, I had to rely on the vintage Redfield (Denver) 3-9X that came with the rifle. In my advancing years, my eyes really don't see small aiming points well at 9X at 100 yards (my eyesight pretty much sucked when I was young too), hence my desire to use the high Xs.

So, the good news is all rounds fired, the action did not blow up, or blow gas in my face, and the rifle functioned perfectly. The rounds fed very slickly from the Sako three-round magazine, so much so, I doubt I would feel any difference in bolt drag with or without a round in the magazine. The safety works perfectly, and the DST was a joy. I will amend my previous weight estimate of 12 ounces with the DST set, however. It's probably closer to a full pound, but that's probably better in a field rifle, anyway.

I had used 6 1/2 Rem primers, known for softer cups, because I couldn't find the Rem 7 1/2 BR primers in my gun room. Other than the slight flow around the firing pin indentation, I saw no signs of pressure. One slightly disconcerting thing was the necks measured the same .195" before and AFTER firing. I used a mild load under a light 20 gr. VMax, but I will definitely need to turn the necks a bit when/if I ramp the load up.

So, how did it shoot? Well, not so well. Having only 12 rounds, I bore-sighted the rifle and actually managed to get within about 6" of the target with the first shot. I made some quick adjustments on the vintage (old) Redfield (rather loosey goosey turret adjustment) and fired these two groups at 100 yards:

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but I doubt I could hold within an inch with the 9X Redfield. These were also fire-forming loads, so I'll not yet draw any conclusions about accuracy.

I shot a .17 Rem for many years as my primary PD rifle until I shot that barrel out, so I'm familiar with the firing characteristics of the diminutive .17s, but I was again surprised at the lack of recoil and rifle movement. It is louder than a Hornet, but might be about the same as a .221 Fireball in a rifle. Not sure what I will gain by rebarreling, other than avoiding the cost and hassle of forming dies and making cases versus the cost and time rebarreling, bluing, etc.

We shall see.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-26-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Looks good to me. Only 9x scope power and no AO will make a huge difference in group size.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 PM

What is the diameter of your orange dots? Has the bore been cleaned thoroughly prior to shooting your groups? I am sure you are aware that accumulated crud in the small bore can greatly impact group sizes.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited by Gary in Illinois; 03-22-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the comments. Parallax in the old scope was evident, as I moved my head about, but I feel I kept my head in the same centered spot for each shot. Still, like I indicated, I think I was barely holding within maybe one inch...much of the dispersion could have been me...at least that's what I keep telling myself

The orange dots are about 2"...so, not so great groups. Yes, the bore was thoroughly (and carefully) scrubbed. Something I never mentioned, though, is the fore-stock-to-barrel fit. The barrel is slightly floating, but normal handling of the rifle, like grasping the fore-stock and barrel with one hand when picking it up, often results in a quiet slapping sound as the fore-stock is squeezed up against the barrel. It is, after all, a wispy barrel sitting in an equally wispy and looong, cantilevered fore-stock. On the other hand, I've only fired 12 rounds so far

New loads and another range trip soon.

TBR
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM

Way too many if's 'n' maybe's to pass judgment on that barrel as I see it. Give it a little TLC and a better scope, maybe some 7 1/2 primers, maybe a couple of different powders, charges, bullets, etc. JMO.

Nice pics and writeup -- very enjoyable!
Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Way too many if's 'n' maybe's to pass judgment on that barrel as I see it. Give it a little TLC and a better scope, maybe some 7 1/2 primers, maybe a couple of different powders, charges, bullets, etc. JMO.

Nice pics and writeup -- very enjoyable!
What he said.

Tom