Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-14-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Walther Running Target

It would seem there are a few people on this board with an affinity toward old wood and blued steel. I thought I might share one of my objects of desire. Maybe there's an expert here that can tell me more about it.

A few years ago I bought this Walther Running Target 22LR at an estate auction. Very good condition, but it was missing its barrel weights. I sure do hope to run into a set for it sometime. This is the rarest target 22lr I have ever had the opportunity to buy. It took me 7 years to purchase my Anschutz 54.18 MSR... but this Walther I could wait my entire life for and not ever find another one configured exactly as this one. The wood is in near-perfect condition, as is the metal, other than at 12 O'clock position at the end of the muzzle where the factory muzzle weights were held on by set screws.

The trigger is every bit as good as the coveted 5018 which is found in the Anschutz 54 action'd match rifles of the day. It's a 2-stage affair with very good ergo's.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 PM

By the way, the 4 picture per post limit on this forum is a real drag. It's 2019 not 1994. Internet is pretty quick these days.

It's topped with a weaver fixed 6x with a super-fine plex with target dot, and of course an adjustable objective. It's really about the perfect setup for a silhouette style rifle such as this. I took a pic through the scope so you could see the weaver fine plex/dot. It's very fun to shoot. Turns out some tiny groups. The rifle likes lapua center X pretty well. So difficult to get a good reticle/scope picture. Obviously it looks a lot better than this in person.

I'm a bit of an optics snob, so I would like to find a period-correct Schmidt & Bender for it... but something tells me a fine plex setup with AO is going to be tough to find from those krauts.

Here are a couple 5-shot groups at 50yds

Here's an ARA practice target at 50yds:

Last edited by orkan; 09-14-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 PM

I've talked to a number of people, and also looked in a number of different books while trying to discover the exact model of this rifle. Depending on who you ask or where you look, you'll see this rifle listed as a Walther Running Target model. However, if you ask someone else or look in a different book, you'll see it listed as a Moving Target or Running Boar rifle.

I have not received any reliable information pointing any particular direction, and as it is my only Walther 22lr presently... I simply refer to it as "my Walther." If there are any smallbore rimfire aficionados here which have a decisive insight into this, I'd love to see the evidence you can bring forth!

This rifle has become one of my favorite 22lr's. There's just something unique and satisfying about shooting it. I have no shortage of impressive 22lr's among my fleet of remington 40X's and Anschutz rifles... but the walther brings something special to the table.

Don't get me started about my BSA Martini International 22lr rifles and Unertl scopes. We'll be here all day.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM

- brought here so as not to derail other threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Have you looked through some old Gun Digest and Shooter's Bible catalogs to search for your Walther?
I've mainly researched online. There were a few books that were searchable on a few of the sales sites. Conflicting information was found depending where I looked. Perhaps I need to get some hard copy.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 AM

A couple of years ago, Gun Digest brought out a set of three optical discs that contained many years (1944 to 2015) of their annual book in pdf format. It was around $75 if I remember correctly. When I get a chance, I will look through a couple of years to see if anything hits pay dirt.

The only Running Boar type rifles I recall were the Anschutz with the enlarged muzzle diameter, but nothing with a detachable weights.

I like quality 22rfs also.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:31 AM

I found one listed on Gunbroker. Guy on there is calling it a running boar. It does have the barrel weights. Here is a link if you'd like to see it. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/825236631
Old 09-15-2019, 02:14 AM

Okay, I scanned through a few years of Gun Digest.

First finding was for 1975, listing it as a Running Boar Match rifle. Had a small picture and a description, including price of $319. The stock was slightly different, with no adjustable cheekpiece.

Next finding was for 1976, listing it as a Moving Target Match Rifle. Had a small picture and a description, including a price of $379. This rifle looks just like your pictures, with the adjustable cheekpiece.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I found one listed on Gunbroker. Guy on there is calling it a running boar. It does have the barrel weights. Here is a link if you'd like to see it. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/825236631
That one has been on there for months. If the price gets right, I might have to buy it.