Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 AM

Default 20 Vartarg dies in Oz

Just trying to sort out some reloading dies for a 20 vartarg.
I have always used FL die sets and was kinda hoping to get one for the 20 vartarg but getting these things here in Oz can be a real PITA!
Redding make a bushing FL die. I have no experience with such dies. Obviously the bushing sizes the neck but apparently not all the way to the base of the neck????? So, can I use a redding FL die with desired bushing to form 221 fireball brass to chamber in the 20 Vartarg chamber before fire forming?
Thanks in advance.
C
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 AM

I suggest you email AJ at Redding. You can access tech at Redding by using techline@redding-reloading.com. Put Attention AJ in the header.

He will respond. BTW, deer season opens Saturday and Redding employees are off for a week. They are kinda in touch with the needs of the employees there!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Welcome aboard pepperC......

Glad you found your way here to Saubiers
Many years ago I bought my 20VT die set from Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den.Todd has always been very helpful with all my small caliber projects in the past.Depending on your chamber you may want to get a separate fl sizer die to get the neck dimension perfect and perhaps bump the case back after a few firings.I would go the way Snert and Harold recommended and get the s type set from Redding to get started shooting.The 20 VarTarg is an awesome little round and you will always enjoy it,the money spent on good dies for it will long be forgotten but you will always appreciate good quality dies and the ammo they produce.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 11-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen it is very reassuring and just way I was after. Apparently redding also makes a custom 2 die fl set......Just what I was after. But good to know I can use the s type bushing die with no problems! You guys have been very generous with ur time and knowledge I appreciate it.
C
Old 11-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Redding VT TYPE s

I suggest the Redding Type S Neck die set #78636. I use the body die to set the shoulder and ease the transition to 20 caliber and then the bushing die for the final neck size both set in my Dillon 550.

Last edited by Ricco1949; 11-14-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Supporting Member

I'm with Ricco on the dies. I use the body die to do initial sizing, then the Type "S" to do final sizing. After firing just use the Type "S" for sizing and bumping shoulder.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:42 AM

pepperC I sent you a pm mate.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Default 20 VarTarg dies in Oz.

PepperC. Either the Redding bushing die or the Whidden bushing die sets will do you the correct job. You can either call or email them and get exactly what you need. Both are high quality sets and you do pay more, but in the long run they are worth every penny. Bill K
Old 11-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20VT case forming

Do a search on this site. Adam Bentley posted a wealth of information on forming 20VT cases. The best gem I got from his posts on the subject was to simply use a Redding 17 Mach IV form die #1. Run your .221 case into this die. It sets the shoulder, forms the neck to a coincidentally perfect .204 and comes out ready to load. I've done this with several hundred cases - Lapua, Nosler and Remington. I used a virgin formed case to set my headspace and never looked back. 8+ loadings on cases without trimming a single one.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Rallyant

How did you go getting dies for the 20VT in the end?
Im lining stuff up to order from USA at the moment.

How are you liking the 20 Vartarg?
who did you get the make it up? Cant be to many smiths in Australia with reamers?

Im choosing and ordering bits to do mine now.