Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-11-2021, 04:35 PM

Default 20 nosler new to me; DISREGUARD previous post

df06; I have a 22 Nosler and did not know Nosler put out a 20 Nosler so
DISREGUARD my last post . Thanks
Old 01-11-2021, 04:52 PM

Default 20 Nos

I started this whole discussion after reading about the 20 Nosler in Noslers newest reloading manual.
I did not know it never came to fruition.
Oh well.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Supporting Member

I'm starting to salivate a little bit and I'm thinking that I might have to try the simple necked down version, just because...

Its probably not the fastest, or so on and no, but it is interesting and its something a bit different.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-11-2021, 07:01 PM

Default 20 Nosler=reamers but NO brass ever released

df06; You can buy the reamer, I did and am going to short ream the chamber to use 6 Hagar brass necked down.

I would like for someone to tell me of a cartridge case that would work for a
.421 Diameter base and at least 1.85 overall case length for this 20 Nosler.

df06; Do a 20 PPC,great brass, 22 PPC Bushing die w/correct bushing, Reamer easy to get and I bet plenty of people on Saubier have done one lots of good first hand info.
I have a 20x47 lapua, way too much case, Expensive experiment,don't go that far. good luck

Last edited by sgtg; 01-11-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I'm starting to salivate a little bit and I'm thinking that I might have to try the simple necked down version, just because...

Its probably not the fastest, or so on and no, but it is interesting and its something a bit different.

JMO - BCB
If you're wanting a new 20 cal and you've already got a big bag of 22 Nosler brass I think a 20-22Nosler would make a great choice.

It has a pretty decent size case capacity but isn't so overbore that it'll smoke a barrel in under 7-800 rounds.

I don't know that I'd personally want one with more than enough twist to shoot a 40 grainer so for me I would likely go 11tw.

It would definitely be something different and not many would have one yet not so different you have to spend any extra time fireforming which is always a plus.

I've heard the brass isn't the greatest but it can't be that bad.

Seems a 20-22Nosler would pretty well check all the boxes. Yes, BCB I think you should definitely build!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member

The brass that I have is pretty consistent when I measured and weighed some back when I got the stuff. If it was bad I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Maybe it has spoiled in the boxes......?

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:46 PM

I realize a lot of you are like me, in that I like wildcats and mess around with numerous one's over the years, but in the case of the 22 Nosler, it came out, so I understand, to give close to 22-250 velocities in the AR platform. Which it did not quite measure up too.
With that in mind, and you wanting a 20 caliber on the larger case, why not go with the 20-250, which is available, reamers, dies and cases are easy to get and it is still a wildcat and does sizzle down the road. Bill K
Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I realize a lot of you are like me, in that I like wildcats and mess around with numerous one's over the years, but in the case of the 22 Nosler, it came out, so I understand, to give close to 22-250 velocities in the AR platform. Which it did not quite measure up too.
With that in mind, and you wanting a 20 caliber on the larger case, why not go with the 20-250, which is available, reamers, dies and cases are easy to get and it is still a wildcat and does sizzle down the road. Bill K
What if you already have one? Is trying something different ok even though you don't need it?

-BCB

Old 01-12-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I can't speak for others but I have a fast twist 20-250. Had it built specifically to shoot the Berger 55's.

I'd consider the 20-250, regardless of the bullet weight you choose to shoot, kind of a specialty gun and not something you're going to spend a whole lot of time shooting in a PD field over the course of a weekend because you could probably toast the throat in one of these things fairly quickly if you got carried away.

Something like a 20-22Nosler has a little more case capacity than the 204 Ruger so it should have better performance with the 40's yet it isn't so overbore, like the 20-250, that throat/barrel life will be substantially longer. I'd imagine performance would be somewhat close-ish to that of a 20BR but on a small bolt face action.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
What if you already have one? Is trying something different ok even though you don't need it?

-BCB
Like I said BCB, we all like to play with wildcats.. Another one is no problem if you want to do so.