Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default Relative Smack! Factor

Comparing equal weight and velocity, how would you rank Nosler BT, Nosler Varm, Hornady V-Max and Calhoon Double HP? Just curious what your experience has shown. Thanks for your experienced opinions.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 PM

Can't comment on Calhoon's bullet, but the other three, when I have hit various varmints with them, all see to be so close in damage/exploding/acrobatics it would be hard to say if one does more damage than the other. All have been accurate for me also.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 PM

I have used NBT, VMAX and And DHP, but have less experience with the DHP. All were used on prairie dogs. I would agree with Bill K said, however I have always found the VMAX less expensive from the vendors I use, and that is what I use. Also, NBT typically have slightly better ballistic coefficients than the VMAX.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:37 PM

I think where and how you connect makes a difference.
My favorite launch is to have dog laying flat on the mound looking at me, right under the chin gives good aerial lift.
I have been going to a faster twist than necessary. I think the extra rpms helps upset. My 6mm’s are all 8 twist, 9 and 8 for 22. My 20’s are factory so far. My 17’s were fastest Shilen offered.
I chase accuracy first, but I will admit to being a speed freak too.

I think the Noslers have better splat factor but I struggle to find good accurate loads. I shoot a lot of Vmax, easy to find easy to tune.
Barnes, I have found to be about like the Noslers, off on accuracy great on splat factor.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:13 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Time for credit where credit is due. I believe it was MontDoug who coined the term "ratsmackage".

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 01-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Based on what little experience I've had PDoggin', I'd give first place to the VMax, second to the Sierra BlitzKings, and third place to the NBTs, with honorable mentions to the old Sierra Blitz and Hornady SPSX softpoints (both with the thinner jackets than the regular items). I haven't used enough Calhoons to make an honest judgement on them.
I have also used some of the Midsouth Varmint Nightmare Extremes (made by Nosler and sold to Midsouth and Midway), but the poly-tipped bullets were somewhat better. I have a soft spot (maybe my head) for those old thin-skinned Blitzes and SPSX bullets, they are superb in my .221 Fireball, and were cheap, cheap, cheap back in the day.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:28 PM

I use Vmax and SX so I am biased. I believe that if any of the bullets you listed are used at designed velocities, that they will blow up. The SX bullets explode at moderate velocities, but when pushed hard, really explode on impact. I would guess the Blitz and probably TNT do the same. As mentioned above, a fast twist barrel, shot at high velocity will multiply the damage.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:01 PM

I'll also add that the SX, the Blitz, and the Hornet specific bullets made by Hornady and Sierra are fairly shorts ( like some Hornets), and they work well when your rifle has a short magazine that can't fit with the longer plastic tipped bullets. They still have pretty explosive results like moorepower said.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:27 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. I had 500 50 SX that had been in my inventory for quite awhile. Had bought a nice 222 custom sporter, so shot them up in it last year. Really devastating out to 250 or so, and they are accurate too. One reason for my post was wondering how well the Nosler BT would perform at 221 Fireball velocities (mid 3000's). I have shot some of them before but couldn't remember how well they blew up compared to V-Max particularly. Just got some of Calhoon's 42 Dbl HP to try and was wondering what to expect as far as terminal performance. Seems like I have read that they were pretty explosive.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 PM

i shoot the Nosler 40 gr. BT's in my 218 bee and it does a number on the PDs....