Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Remington LVSF came in a variety of cartridges, I really like mine in 221 FB. The only mod was adjusting the trigger, glass bed and change the shroud and striker as it was a J-Lock version.

Very nice and light, about 7.5 lbs with a Leupold 6x20x44 Varmint side parallax scope, well balanced and will easily shoot .25 with the factory fluted barrel.

If I had no Sako L461 rifles, the Remington Model 700 LVSF would probably be my choice for a walking varmint rifle. I have two of them - 17 Remington and 221 FB - and both shoot extremely well and are a delight to carry.

Both of mine are early models that came with the soon-to-be gummy Limbsaver recoil pads, but a call to Remington and I soon had two replacement stocks with a different make of recoil pads aboard. Remington did not want the two original stocks back. On the same day that I contacted Remington, I also called Limbsaver about the problem and they sent me two new recoil pads in the mail about a week after I got the new stocks from Remington. I've left the two replacement stocks in place on the rifles and have the original stocks with the new Limbsaver pads in the box that came from Remington in my gun room.

All that said, the Model 700 LVSF rifles are a great carry gun. Probably a more practical rifle for all weather carry with stainless metal and a composite stock than are the Sakos, but the L461 hold a special mystique for me.

Again, JMO - BCB

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-03-2020, 10:59 PM

I have a couple that I have/ like. An L46 in .222, and a Howa 1500 mini in .222. I really love the Mini, but am still searching for a load for it. If I could build one it might be a 6-.223 with a #2 barrel.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Remington LVSF came in a variety of cartridges, I really like mine in 221 FB. The only mod was adjusting the trigger, glass bed and change the shroud and striker as it was a J-Lock version.

Very nice and light, about 7.5 lbs with a Leupold 6x20x44 Varmint side parallax scope, well balanced and will easily shoot .25 with the factory fluted barrel.

I had one just like that one. Mine however would not eject properly. It would always throw the case up straight into the scope and then fall back into the port. A local gunsmith's solution was to lighten the ejector spring and that helped, but you had to make sure the rifle was level or slightly canted to one side to make sure the empty brass would fall out. I changed stocks on it a couple of times trying to make myself happy and I eventually sold it.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:06 AM

One of the little Rem model 7's wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:13 AM

Let me list a few others I have tried and did not keep:

Browning A bolt 22 Hornet: I had a warranty problem and the whole experience soured me on Browning products.

T/C Contender with custom shop 218 Bee heavy barrel: The lightest rifle and a true tack driver. The ergonomics of that rifle sucked and I hated carrying it. Plus I found it a pain to clean.

Savage 25 22 Hornet: Would not feed anything reliably except the 35 grain Vmax.

Several Remington 700 ADL 222 Remington, one BDL, and a 722: All were very accurate, but I just felt like they should be a bit lighter in weight for the cartridge.

Ruger MKII in 222 Remington: The worst shooting triple deuce ever.

One rifle I have not tried and I am not sure if I would be happy with it is the Cooper 38 in a Hornet, Bee, or Fireball cartridge with a Jackson Varmint style stock. I would prefer a repeater, but I know it is not an option. I do have a 38 in 20 Vartarg, but it has the varminter stock and heavy barrel.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:22 AM

I'm a Remington 600/660 guy. I have rebarreled a half dozen or so. A very light and strong action that is easy to get to shoot accurately. They are the same weight as the 700 Ti, but much cheaper to acquire. If you shop around and stay away from the collector vent rib version (Mohawk 600 or any 660), you can get some great deals. Any gunsmith with 700 tooling can work on them. I have several very accurate ones under 6 pounds. My favourite calibre so far is a 223 AI but I'm building a 20-223 AI so we'll see how that shakes out. The stock 222's in a 660 are phenomenal for the price and easily cope with 250 yards.

Last edited by Wiserfool; 03-04-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Let me list a few others I have tried and did not keep:

Browning A bolt 22 Hornet: I had a warranty problem and the whole experience soured me on Browning products.

T/C Contender with custom shop 218 Bee heavy barrel: The lightest rifle and a true tack driver. The ergonomics of that rifle sucked and I hated carrying it. Plus I found it a pain to clean.

Savage 25 22 Hornet: Would not feed anything reliably except the 35 grain Vmax.

Several Remington 700 ADL 222 Remington, one BDL, and a 722: All were very accurate, but I just felt like they should be a bit lighter in weight for the cartridge.

Ruger MKII in 222 Remington: The worst shooting triple deuce ever.

One rifle I have not tried and I am not sure if I would be happy with it is the Cooper 38 in a Hornet, Bee, or Fireball cartridge with a Jackson Varmint style stock. I would prefer a repeater, but I know it is not an option. I do have a 38 in 20 Vartarg, but it has the varminter stock and heavy barrel.
We all have different experiences and "needs"......

I have owned two Browning A-Bolt Micros in 22 Hornet and both were/are extremely accurate. One I no longer own from maybe 15 years ago and the other I just bought used NIB maybe a year ago to "replace" the original.

I've shot Contenders but never in a rifle. Cartridges like 218 Bee, 22 hornet, and 7MM TCU work great in the Contender. I've never had a desire to spend any money on a Savage.

I've never had a bad Ruger Model 77 in my life. I guess its time to buy some Lotto tickets. My first 204 Ruger rifle is a Model 77 stainless lightweight rifle with a 20" barrel that drives tacks.

I own a small stable of Cooper rifles in varmint calibers, but they are all too heavy to walk around with much as they are Varminter or MTV models. But they do work great for PD shooting from a portable bench.

Two good walking varminters that I have that B23 alluded are the Remington Model 7 Camo Predators in 243 Winchester and 223 Remington. Both are extremely accurate just as they came out of the box.

Beyond that I have numerous Rem 700 rifles (some old and some relatively new) and a couple of Ruger #1 rifles in varmint calibers, and even a Winchester Model 70 push feed rifle in 223 Remington that would all work as waking varminters, but none of them are as light or as manageable as the L461 Sako rifles are.

One new to me "varminter" that I've shot 50 rounds through but have not bloodied yet is a roughly 25 year old Winchester Model 92 "1 of 500" in 32-20 caliber in like new condition. It's not your average varmint rifle or varmint cartridge, but it has a 20" octagon barrel that I can't wait to try on West Texas jack rabbits later this year. And it will also get some field time in south Texas chasing feral hogs too. For me, it and a couple of Winchester Model 73 reproductions in 357 Magnum and 45 Colt are all great varmint rifles.

If I could only have one varmint rifle, it would be extremely hard for me to get rid of the litter of 22-250 rifles that I currently own. The 22-250 has been one of my favorite cartridge even before I bought my first 17 Remington rifle years ago. My current 5 of those and a 22-6mm and a 6mm-250 all make for great coyote specific rifles.

MY all time favorite cartridge is the 17 Remington. It works for anything from small critters to coyotes. My current 17 Remington rifles which now total 4 are the last of 15 different 17 Rem rifles that have lived at my house.

Throw in maybe a dozen extra wildcat cartridges and rifles in 17, 20, and 22 caliber and I'm fixed for life...... But that's just in my eyes........

Just my experience.......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-04-2020 at 02:14 AM. Reason: grammar.......
Old 03-04-2020, 03:21 AM

Since I am a single shot guy at heart and if I could walk around, I would choose one of my Browning Low Walls or my T/C G2 carbine barrels all in 22 Hornet or 223.
Bill
Old 03-04-2020, 10:59 AM

A Barrett Fieldcraft in 22-250 would be an excellent walking varminter. Very lightweight and super accurate.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Best Carry Varmint Rifle

I have a 1980 Winchester M70 "Short Action Carbine" in 222. Leupold 6x scope, 19" pencil barrel and walnut stock. It was my "go to" G-hog gun for years until some guy, named RayH, started me down the 20 Cal. slope.

"Lord, protect me from my friends. I'll look out for my enemies myself".
Will Rogers.